MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›U.S. warship enters waters claimed by China without approval

U.S. warship enters waters claimed by China without approval

By -
February 1, 2016
1
0
Share:
In this June 4, 2010, file photo, the USS Curtis Wilbur arrives at a naval base in Busan, South Korea

In this June 4, 2010, file photo, the USS Curtis Wilbur arrives at a naval base in Busan, South Korea

The Pentagon confirmed it sent a ship into waters claimed by China, calling it a “freedom of navigation” operation meant to challenge attempts by that country and others to restrict navigation in the area.
The USS Curtis Wilbur got to within 12 nautical miles (22 km) of Triton Island in the South China Sea, Defense Department spokesman Mark Wright said by e-mail Saturday.
The island, administered by China, is part of the Paracel islands chain in the South China Sea also claimed by Vietnam and Taiwan. Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou ignored a rebuke from the U.S. and visited an island in the contested area earlier this week, reiterating claims to the disputed waterway.
The operation by the U.S. was intended to affirm sea rights and wasn’t meant to take position on competing land sovereignty claims, Wright said.
“The United States will fly, sail and operate anywhere international law allows,” Wright said. “That is true in the South China Sea, as in other places around the globe.”
The move on the part of the U.S. is “a deliberate provocation,” Yang Yujun, China’s Ministry of National Defense spokesman, said in a statement, according to the official Xinhua News Agency on Saturday.
Yang said the move was unprofessional and irresponsible, and may cause extremely dangerous consequences, Xinhua reported.
While the U.S. has challenged China’s expansive maritime claims as part of President Barack Obama’s “pivot to Asia” strategy, the Pentagon emphasized Saturday it was also signaling opposition to actions by other countries vying with China.
The operation “challenged attempts by the three claimants, China, Taiwan and Vietnam, to restrict navigation rights and freedoms around the features they claim by policies that require prior permission or notification of transit within territorial seas,” Wright said in the e-mail.
Vietnam respects harmless travel complying with international rules, Foreign Minister spokesman Le Hai Binh said in comments on the government website yesterday.
The U.S. has also said that all sides in various territorial disputes should avoid aggressive actions and claims.
As is customary in such operations, no other countries were notified in advance, Wright said. The movements were watched by China and not approved by the nation, Chinese foreign affairs ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in a statement, urging the U.S. to respect and abide by Chinese laws.
The passage of the USS Curtis Wilbur near Triton Island was reported earlier by the Wall Street Journal. Alan Bjerga, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

China may resume U.S. beef imports in ...

Next Article

Corporate Bits | First group of 49 ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Miners protest over governor’s claim

      March 14, 2016
      By -
    • China

      Beijing holding three Taiwanese over national security suspicions

      November 14, 2019
      By -
    • China

      Economy | China braced for Fed as IMF raises outlook, data shows stability

      June 15, 2017
      By -
    • Breaking NewsChinaMacau

      Breaking News | Two Hong Kongers plead guilty to foreign collusion: report

      August 19, 2021
      By -
    • China

      Billionaire Wang wins Glass Lewis backing for Wanda buyout

      July 28, 2016
      By -
    • China

      New Taiwan leader rejects predecessor’s bid to visit HK

      June 13, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Advertorial

      Wynn Partners Environmental Sectors to Build Green Macau

    • World

      Slovakia may consider giving Ukraine Russian-built warplanes

    • Business

      Corporate Bits | Pierre Hermé Paris Macarons & Chocolats set to open at studio city

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d