MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Uncategorized
Home›Uncategorized›1978 Aldo Moro snatched at gunpoint
This day in history

1978 Aldo Moro snatched at gunpoint

By -
March 16, 2023
0
0
Share:

Former Italian prime minister Aldo Moro has been kidnapped in Rome.

Mr Moro’s escort of five police bodyguards were killed when he was snatched at gunpoint from a car near a cafe in the morning rush-hour.

Chief police investigator Signor Moro said 12 gunmen took part in the attack on the former prime minister as he was being driven to parliament.

Police have set up dozens of roadblocks and all exits from the city are being watched. Helicopters are hovering overhead and anti-terrorist officers have been sent to the airport.

The extreme left-wing Red Brigade, in a telephone call to a Rome newspaper, has said it kidnapped the Christian Democratic leader, 61.

A spokesman said: “We kidnapped Aldo Moro. He is only our first victim. We shall hit at the heart of the state.”

The man demanded that the Turin trial of Renato Curcio, who is suspected of leading the Red Brigade, and 14 others accused of membership of the group should be suspended.

Witnesses reported seeing a white Fiat car move in front of Mr Moro’s vehicle, along with a man on a motorbike. The Fiat braked hard and Mr Moro’s car crashed into it.

Gunmen jumped out of the Fiat and others who had been waiting nearby raised pistols and sub-machine guns.

Trade unions have called a 24-hour general strike and workers have left many shops and offices in the city in a shocked reaction to the kidnapping of the much-respected statesman.

Investigators are examining spent bullet cases at the scene of the crime and among guns seized they found “a rarely used Soviet weapon”.

Prime Minister Giulio Andreotti has condemned those who took Mr Moro, saying they were “destroying the fabric of the nation and threatening to make it ungovernable”.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

In the aftermath of the kidnapping, security forces made hundreds of raids in Rome, Milan, Turin and other cities in their search for Mr Moro.

For two months, Mr Moro was held at a secret location in Rome allowing him to send letters to his family and politicians – begging the government to negotiate with his captors.

The government refused all pleas from family, friends and the Pope Paul VI to concede to any demands.

Eight weeks after he was kidnapped, the body of Mr Moro was found riddled with bullets in the boot of a car in Via Caetani in central Rome.

The Red Brigade was a left-wing terrorist group formed in 1970 with the sole aim of overthrowing capitalist Italy by violent means. Most of their leading members had been captured and imprisoned by the mid-1980s.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsThis Day in History
Previous Article

Samsung to invest USD230 billion to build ...

Next Article

Treasury chief seeks drama-free budget day amid ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      This day in history | 1960 TV star famed for rudeness dies

      November 16, 2021
      By -
    • Uncategorized

      1986 Soviets launch space station Mir

      February 20, 2023
      By -
    • This Day In History

      1970 King Hussein escapes gunman’s bullet

      June 9, 2025
      By -
    • World

      This day in history | 1985 America welcomes Charles and Diana

      November 9, 2021
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History: 1999 Nigerians vote to break with military

      February 27, 2015
      By -
    • Uncategorized

      1951 Communist forces to re-take Seoul

      January 4, 2024
      By -

    • Macau

      AI chatbot services expand for tourists

    • China

      Taiwan | Sylvia Chang makes comeback with ‘Murmur of the Hearts’

    • Macau

      Michelin acquires 40pct of Robert Parker

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d