MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Cheong: cancellation of Tiananmen exhibition not for political reasons

Cheong: cancellation of Tiananmen exhibition not for political reasons

By Lynzy Valles, MDT
May 13, 2020
1
0
Share:

Secretary for Administration and Justice André Cheong

Secretary for Administration and Justice, André Cheong Weng Chon, said that the cancellation of the photo exhibition that showcases the history of the 1989 Democracy Movement and the June 4th incident was solely driven by the need to contain the pandemic outbreak, refuting the idea that it was politically motivated.
Last week, the Union for Democracy Development received a letter from Municipal Affairs Bureau (IAM), noting that the latter had revised the guidelines for approving venues, and decided to forbid them from setting up the exhibition in the planned public area.
According to the bureau, the “1989 Democratization Movement Photo Exhibition,” which is organized by lawmaker Ng Kuok Cheong, was “not in line with relevant standards.”
The exhibition is normally held alongside an annual vigil in Senado Square on the evening of June 4. The event calls on the public to remember Beijing’s violent crackdown on pro-democracy activists in 1989.
Cheong told the press yesterday on the sidelines of the inauguration ceremony of the newly appointed judges that the decision to cancel the exhibition was not due to any political concern.
“The decision was not juridical, let alone political. The decision was precisely made because of the pandemic situation,” the official clarified.
The IAM’s new decision contradicts that which was made last month when the bureau authorized the use of public spaces. According to organizers, the IAM did not provide any justification for its change of position.
However, Cheong implied yesterday that it is normal for public services to change their decisions, adding that the decision of IAM is “reasonable and adequate” to control the spread of Covid-19.
The exhibition is held annually in Senado Square, which, according to Cheong is a place prone to congestion, which is what prompted IAM to reverse its decision.
“All public services, when they verify that there was a mistake, can change their previous decision,” he said.
IAM President José Tavares had previously justified the decision by noting that the move was to heed the call of health authorities, who have discouraged social gatherings.
The New Macau Association (ANM) is condemning the government for reversing its decision.
ANM said that the group is “shocked” by the action of the IAM and expresses strong disagreement with the decision.
“The IAM’s prohibition is obviously based on political reasons. It is using administrative means to suppress freedom of expression and to minimize the space for the civil society,” ANM added.
According to the statement, the association believes that the decision was an attempt to “hide ideals of the patriotic democratic movement and the historical crimes of the bloody suppression of the regime at that time.”

Lawmaker Sulu sou

The association urged IAM and other government departments not to continue to suppress any related activities, in particular the June 4 vigil which has 30 years of history.
The organizers have appealed against the IAM’s decision and seek to continue with the exhibition.
Last year, an assembly in Senado Square was blocked from being held by the Public Security Police Force (PSP). The assembly sought to silently protest against the “violence used by the police forces in Hong Kong,”
However, the PSP refused to authorize the assembly because it was “not in accordance with the law.”
The justifications given by the PSP were later validated by the Court of Final Appeal.

IAM refuses Au Kam San’s appeal

The Municipal Affairs Bureau (IAM) has declined an appeal filed by Au Kam San regarding the decision to revoke permission to display an exhibition dedicated to the events that occurred in Tiananmen Square on June 4, 1989. The bureau issued a reply to lawmaker Au, who is one of the organizers of the event, stating that the criteria for IAM venue use have been reviewed. Consequently, only activities related to “culture, leisure, the environment, health, etc.,” will be allowed in the future, as cited in the statement posted on Au’s Facebook account. “As the exhibition will likely attract crowds, the IAM revoked the previous permission on venue use, pursuant to Article 130 of the Code of Administrative Procedures,” IAM stated, adding that the reversal of decision is not against the principle of goodwill. The bureau said the reversal of decision has not violated the Code of Administrative Procedures, especially not the principles of legality and equality. It added that the organizer has the right to file a judicial appeal.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

CE appoints Portuguese judges to lower courts

Next Article

Opinion | As Macau bans annual Tiananmen ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      JLL say delta bridge had no impact on city’s property market

      January 9, 2020
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • Breaking NewsMacauWorld

      The Latest: Egyptian officials say EgyptAir plane crashed, 66 on board

      May 19, 2016
      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
    • Macau

      EPM Foundation praises IGEC probe to school

      July 2, 2024
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Branded products fair to return end of month at Galaxy expo

      July 10, 2023
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      UM signs protocol with Indian institute

      February 16, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      Secretary says that Arnaldo Santos was his pick to head IH

      January 6, 2016
      By Renato Marques, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Cybersecurity Law | ‘Real names’ on prepaid SIM cards gathering support, authorities claim

    • Business

      Food & Beverage | Back alley cuisine recognized in Taipei’s debut Michelin Guide

    • Opinion

      Rear Window | Boldly inaccurate

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d