MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›COURTS | PAUL PHUA : Subpoena fight resolved over FBI-Caesars search

COURTS | PAUL PHUA : Subpoena fight resolved over FBI-Caesars search

By -
November 10, 2014
1
0
Share:
Wei Seng Phua walks into federal court Thursday, Nov. 6, in Las Vegas

Wei Seng Phua walks into federal court Thursday, Nov. 6, in Las Vegas

A federal judge in Nevada heard defense attorneys allege Thursday that the FBI improperly enlisted Caesars Palace officials to obtain a crucial search warrant before arresting eight men now charged with setting up an international Internet gambling hub at the Las Vegas Strip resort.
The arguments in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas didn’t lead to the public airing of evidence that FBI agents with lapel cameras tricked their way inside a luxury villa by getting a contractor to shut off Internet access to the suite and then impersonating repair technicians. The Associated Press previously obtained and viewed that video.
Instead, Caesars attorneys sought to throw out the subpoena requiring the surrender of email and business records that defense attorneys say will show the FBI violated the defendants’ Constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Peggy Leen heard about 40 minutes of arguments before declaring she wouldn’t throw out the subpoena. The lawyers met separately and reached a deal a short time later that made no more hearings necessary.
Attorney Vincent Savarese, representing Caesars, said they agreed on a “narrowed scope” of disclosures.
David Chesnoff, attorney for lead defendant Wei Seng Phua (also known as Paul Phua), said that by receiving the documents, “we’ll be able to pursue the truth.” The lawyers didn’t disclose details.
Defense attorney Thomas Goldstein told the judge they think emails will show Caesars officials were “centrally involved” with federal investigators and prosecutors trying to find a way to obtain enough probable cause to get a search warrant against Wei Seng Phua.
Monica Pinciak, a lawyer representing Caesars, said the casino company had nothing to hide. She said it already turned over business records relating to money transfers, and branded the subpoena a “fishing expedition” for emails and materials that could be used to hurt the company.
Phua, his son Darren Wai Kit Phua, and defendants Seng Chen Yong, Wai Kin Yong, Hui Tang, Yan Zhang, Yung Keung Fan and Herman Chun Sang Yeung were arrested in three exclusive villas at Caesars on July 13. Each has pleaded not guilty to charges of transmission of wagering information, operating an illegal gambling business and aiding and abetting.
If convicted, each could face up to seven years in federal prison on the unlawful transmission and illegal gambling business counts, and fines of up to USD500,000.
Phua also faces charges of running an illegal sports gambling business in Macau. He was arrested there June 18 and freed on bail. He flew a few days later to Las Vegas, where federal authorities impounded his private jet pending resolution of the U.S. case.

phua: a driving force ‘behind the nosebleed cash games in macau’

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that Paul Phua is a frequent visitor at Las Vegas poker tables. In 2012, he played in the “Big One for One Drop,” a USD1 million buy-in event that also served as a charitable fundraiser for the One Drop water awareness foundation. According to World Series of Poker press material, Phua is “a big league investment banker from China who is one of the driving forces behind the nosebleed cash games in Macau.” Ken Ritter, Las Vegas , AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Young talent emerges on local art scene

Next Article

Local investor bets on Guinea-Bissau

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      The Buzz | Institute for Tourism Studies collaborates for TEd Summit 2018

      June 14, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Customs records 12% increase in prosecutions against smuggling

      February 4, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Chui Sai On at the AL | CE urges youth to be more proactive

      July 28, 2016
      By Paulo Barbosa
    • Macau

      MUST confers six honorary doctoral degrees

      September 28, 2020
      By -
    • Macau

      Vocational training courseson the rise

      May 14, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Tourism group estimates daily tourist arrivals may fall to under 10K

      June 9, 2021
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      This Day in History | 1964 – Beatlemania arrives in the US

    • Daily Edition

      Monday, June 22, 2015 – edition no. 2339

    • Macau

      Low-pressure trough to bring thunderstorms and heat warning

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d