MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Courts | Scott Chiang may be absolved of guilt after appeal victory

Courts | Scott Chiang may be absolved of guilt after appeal victory

By Daniel Beitler, MDT
February 1, 2019
1
0
Share:

Scott Chiang

Activist Scott Chiang has won a ruling in the Court of Second Instance that may absolve him from a sentencing last year for the crime of unlawful assembly.

Chiang and legislator Sulu Sou were charged with disobeying police authorities during a demonstration in May 2016 that challenged a controversial RMB100 million donation from the Macau Foundation to Jinan University. In May 2018, the two defendants were found guilty in the Court of First Instance of organizing an unlawful assembly and were sentenced to fines worth 120 days each.

Chiang’s 70-page appeal submitted to the Court of Second Instance detailed numerous violations of his rights during last year’s trial. It remains unclear which of these arguments compelled the Court into siding with the appellant.

Pedro Leal, the lawyer who represented Chiang, told the Times yesterday that his client was still waiting to hear more about the decision.

“When we filed the appeal, we requested the Court [of Second Instance] declare Scott Chiang not guilty or to hold a re-trial. One of those two options has been decided by the court, but we don’t know which one yet,” he explained, adding that more information would likely be released today.

“The result is in – that I won – but we don’t know the details yet,” echoed Chiang in a separate conversation. “What does it mean? Am I pronounced not guilty? Will I have a re-trial? Right now we know very little.”

What is known, however, is that the crime of organizing an illegal assembly cannot be brought further up the chain of Macau’s judiciary via an appeal from the Public Prosecution’s Office. According to Leal, that means it will not be entertained in the Court of Final Appeal.

Jorge Menezes, who represented Chiang’s co-defendant Sulu Sou, said the decision was a strong sign of judicial independence. “There is no separation of powers between the government and the Legislative Assembly, but there appears to be a separation between the government and the courts,” he told the Times. “That’s a reason to be happy.”

The Court’s decision to uphold Chiang’s appeal will not affect Sulu Sou, who withdrew an earlier, “merely defensive”, appeal in order to expedite his return to the Legislative Assembly.

Lawmakers in Macau normally enjoy prosecutorial immunity that prevents charges from being brought against them. Sou was suspended by a Legislative Assembly intervention in December last year, which lifted his immunity and permitted him to stand trial.

“It’s painful to see Sulu Sou, a legislator, hold a criminal offence from a decision at trial that wasn’t fairly reached,” said Menezes. “It shows how unfairly Sulu Sou was treated; that he was forced to waive his fundamental right of appeal in order to serve the public interest as a legislator.”

“[Sulu Sou] deserved to share this little victory,” said Chiang. “I don’t know if he can benefit from this decision, but it is a moral vindication for him.”

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Foundation ‘understands the public concern’ over subsidies

Next Article

Money laundering prevention guidelines issued

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Briefs | CAEAL meets with lawmakers to collect opinions

      March 1, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Wynn Macau grants shares to over 150 employees

      March 27, 2024
      By -
    • AdvertorialMacau

      Wynn Promotes Sustainable Hospitality to Build Green Future

      June 17, 2022
      By -
    • Macau

      Foreign passport holders can now use e-channels at HZMB

      January 26, 2026
      By -
    • Macau

      Fearless Georgia departs but leaves behind plenty of highlights

      July 2, 2024
      By -
    • Breaking NewsMacau

      North Korean diplomats in Malaysia to get Kim Jong Nam’s body

      February 28, 2017
      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Doctors: Upsurge in paralysis condition accompanies Zika

    • Macau

      Lawmaker calls for greater scrutiny on casino smoking controls

    • Macau

      Briefs | 30 locals sought help from Chinese embassies

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d