MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Early handout might be ‘lifeline’ for some, says economist

Early handout might be ‘lifeline’ for some, says economist

By Renato Marques, MDT
February 25, 2020
1
0
Share:

The distribution of this year’s Wealth Partaking Scheme cash handouts brought forward from July to April, might be a “lifeline” for some small enterprises and individuals, says economist Albano Martins.
In his opinion, the measure, announced by the Secretary for Economy and Finance, Lei Wai Nong on January 31, is justified by the need to inject money to families and family-based companies currently facing a very challenging situation.
The measure was confirmed by the government in an administrative regulation published in the Official Gazette.
“Yes, it is justified [to bring forward the handout distribution],” economist Martins told the Times. “In fact, all the measures presented by the government [in the raft of financial measures] need to be put into force right now and not in a few months after bankruptcies [which are already] happening and when people have already lost their jobs.”
Martins also voiced the need for the Legislative Assembly to resume work so that some of the proposed measures can be passed and enforced as soon as possible, otherwise they might come too late.
The former Chief Executive, Chui Sai On, before the end of his mandate, had already announced that the government would continue to apply the Wealth Partaking Scheme into 2020, distributing the same cash handouts as in the previous year (MOP10,000 for each permanent resident and MOP6,000 for each non-permanent resident).
According to the Executive Council information yesterday morning, the distribution of the handouts will start on April 1 and will be finalized by June this year.
As in other years, the first to receive the handouts will be the elderly, bereaved and those on retirement pensions, or financial support from the Social Welfare Bureau.
Students with government scholarships and teaching staff will start receiving the handout one week later and from the second week of April, the handouts will be distributed to the general population starting from the oldest to the youngest.
The first cash handout was distributed in 2008 at the initiative of the former Chief Executive Edmund Ho. Back then, the amounts distributed were exactly half of what both permanent and non-permanent residents now receive.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Gaming | Epidemic outbreak the ‘most difficult’ ...

Next Article

Tourism regulator says no way to trace ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      12th MITE event aims to establish itself as tourism powerhouse

      April 9, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      China study: Macau ranks first in travel destinations for mainland residents in 1H

      August 15, 2023
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Association urges gov’t to regulate alarming rise in takeout platform charges

      November 15, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      DSAL: Non-local workers to address local labor shortages only

      July 28, 2025
      By Yuki Lei, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      MGTO 2019 forecast | GP Museum and research on HKZMB are priorities

      January 24, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      Macau Peninsula LRT section to begin construction in 2016

      July 25, 2014
      By João Pedro Lau

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Quarantine loopholes bring fresh efforts to fight outbreaks

    • Daily Edition

      Thursday, October 26, 2017 – edition no. 2914

    • Macau

      Court | TSI approves residency status appeal for mother and children

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d