Hong Kong police arrested three men and two women on Friday in connection with the death of an elderly man during a protest in Sheung Shui on Nov. 13, according to an official statement released on the Hong Kong government website on Saturday. A 70-year old man was admitted to hospital on Nov. 13 after being struck by a brick, according to the statement. He was certified dead the next day, it said. The five people arrested are aged between 15 and 18 and are being detained for further inquiries, the statement said. Police announced last week a reward of HKD800,000 ($102,600) for information related to the case.
More homemade explosives found
Hong Kong police said they arrested three men Saturday for testing homemade explosives that they suspect were intended for use during protests. The arrests are the latest in a rash of explosives-related cases police say they’ve uncovered since protests erupted in June over a proposed extradition law and snowballed into an anti-government movement. Last week, police said they defused two homemade bombs packed with nails. Police suspect they may have been intended for use against officers. Police said the bombs were to be triggered with cellphones. In July, police announced the seizure of about 2 kilograms of TATP, which has been used in militant attacks worldwide. Other recent seizures involved smaller amounts of the explosive.