MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Gaming | DICJ plans to introduce phone betting penalties

Gaming | DICJ plans to introduce phone betting penalties

By -
June 20, 2016
1
0
Share:

Inside The G2E Asia Global Gaming Expo

Macau’s government plans to introduce penalties for violations in its USD30 billion gaming industry, as it plugs gaps in outdated laws including one banning phone-betting at casinos.
Responding to a June 2 Bloomberg report that Macau’s junket operators, which lend money to high rollers, are continuing to violate a ban last month on using mobile phones at betting tables, the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) said it will “complete supplementary laws for violations and related penalties that weren’t previously included, amend outdated rules, and bring in new regulations.”
Macau has been trying to reign in an industry that’s 4.5 times larger than the Las Vegas Strip amid China’s campaign against corruption, which has included clampdowns on illegal money outflows via the city. That crackdown led to a two-year gaming revenue slump as mainland gamblers avoided Macau, hurting profits for casinos.
The planned penalties “will further hurt the revenue of the struggling industry in the short term,” said Daiwa Capital Markets Hong Kong Ltd. analyst Jamie Soo. If the ban on phone-betting is more strictly enforced, along with penalties, the negative impact may be incrementally felt in the months ahead, he said.
The gaming regulator currently only advises its enforcement agents to issue verbal warnings to violators of the ban on phone-betting, a practice which contributes about 20 percent of gaming promoters’ revenue, Soo said in a telephone interview.
Phone betting helps gamblers skirt China’s currency controls, as promoters conduct card games via wireless earpieces connected to mobile phones for high-stakes VIP clients. While a 2001 Macau law banned the practice, it doesn’t come with sanctions. There was no enforcement as long as operators reported the bets and the identities of the gamblers to the regulator, according to legislator Pereira Coutinho.
Under Macau’s 2001 law, casino operators are responsible for making sure junket operators obey the regulation even though the gaming promoters operate the rooms independently of the casinos. The May ban doesn’t lay out the responsibilities of casinos to enforce the ban.
By comparison, Singapore’s prohibition against phone betting, which took effect last year, calls for a fine of up to SGD5,000 (USD3,700) and six months in jail for the gambler and as much as SGD200,000 and up to five years in jail for those who facilitate remote gambling.
Macau’s gaming industry “has room to improve,” and the government will further strengthen regulation through the use of technology to monitor loopholes, and enhancing staff training to raise efficiency, according to the gambling regulator’s statement. The industry’s development and regulation need to fit Macau’s goal of becoming a global tourism center and all regulations can only be applied after obtaining social consensus, the regulator said. Daniela Wei, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Analysis | Depth of Hong Kong’s retail ...

Next Article

Zhuhai authorities invest in electric vehicles

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Courts | Ho Chio Meng Lai Kin Ian called to testify again

      April 21, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Macau Foundation subsidies reached MOP1.1b last year

      March 20, 2018
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Tsang first to qualify as candidate in race to run HK

      February 27, 2017
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      217-day absence leads to dismissal and failed appeal over retirement benefits

      August 15, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      South Africa gospel choir make Macau debut

      October 27, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      CRIME | Man swindled out of HKD1 million after ‘dead casino chips’ purchase

      March 3, 2015
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Drive InExtra Times

      Acting chemistry boosts (very) dark ‘Count of Three’

    • World

      Trump calls new border wall a ‘world-class security system’

    • Drive InExtra Times

      In ‘Honk for Jesus,’ a megachurch mockumentary

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d