MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Ho Iat Seng finds seeing revitalization as jeopardization ‘radical’

Ho Iat Seng finds seeing revitalization as jeopardization ‘radical’

By Anthony Lam, MDT
October 5, 2023
0
0
Share:

In response to opinions fearing revitalization plans will destroy old districts, Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng finds these comments “radical,” local media has reported.

On the sidelines of the National Day Reception, the head of the government was asked whether he was satisfied with the proposals on old district revitalization presented by the six casino operators. He said he was satisfied, adding he was aware that each operator has a team focusing on non-gambling operations.

At the same event, he was also asked about his views on social opinions that fear revitalization projects may ultimately become jeopardization projects, which might damage or even destroy existing qualities or elements.

Ho strongly objected to these opinions, according to local media All About Macau, describing them as “radical.” He was cited as suspecting the press of having heard “radical narratives,” while the government sees these projects as revitalization.

He said the government is not demanding casino operators overhaul these districts. On the contrary, they are called to attract new leases or retain existing ones, so as to achieve revitalization.

On the matter of residency of Portuguese people in Macau, Ho said Macau and Lisbon have different views on eligibility, and “communications” are ongoing.

He said working visas for Portuguese people are unchanged.

Ho said a new law was enacted last year, facilitating the change in eligibility. The core point of discussion is whether all Portuguese people should receive a Macau ID immediately upon arriving in Macau for work and get permanent residency seven years after arrival, he was cited as saying by All About Macau.

Cash handout level retained; civil servant pay rise planned

All social welfare – including the cash handout – will remain unchanged next year, while civil servants will see a pay raise from Jan. 1 next year, Ho has disclosed.

The level of the cash handout will remain at MOP10,000.

He said the level of the pay raise for civil servants has not been determined yet, as he was awaiting the report from the civil servant salary review entity.

On the Northbound Travel for Macau Vehicles scheme, the head of the government said discussions are needed with Guangdong Province before making any changes.

With this said, although he has heard suggestions from society, he does not have the authority to implement any of them at his discretion.

On the economy, Secretary for Economy and Finance Lei Wai Nong said the city’s casinos had attracted about MOP130 billion of gross gambling revenue (GGR) in the first nine months of the year. He hoped that all walks of life can work together to achieve more in the next three months.

Regarding international tourists, both Ho and Lei said casino operators should do more, adding that lack of flights is the core challenge.

Casinos will get a maximum of 5% tax waiver should they attract enough foreign tourists, but the government has so far not publicized any data. However, Lei said the government has received daily data from casinos.

Recently, the US Department of State has lowered Hong Kong’s travel warning to second tier, but maintained that for Macau at the second most severe tier, noting that Macau has “arbitrary enforcement of local laws.”

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Sands China to revitalize Iec Long Firecracker ...

Next Article

Friday, October 6, 2023 – edition no. ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Regional youth sports activity ends today

      April 19, 2016
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Suspect of Cotai murder apprehended in Hunan

      May 18, 2022
      By -
    • Macau

      Illegal gaming scheme shut down by PJ

      December 19, 2017
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      E-voucher collection period starts today

      April 14, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Adventure | Kitesurfer completes Pearl River Delta crossing after stalled attempt

      March 4, 2019
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Macau joins China’s C929 certification team as four deals are signed

      May 1, 2026
      By Ricaela Diputado, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Mobile transactions continue to see increase

    • Sports

      Saudi Arabia pays for naming rights to Atlético’s stadium for nine years

    • Asia-Pacific

      Flight MH370 | Wing flap found in Tanzania confirmed to be part of missing Malaysian airliner

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d