MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

ChinaHeadlines
Home›China›Hong Kong economy expands most since 2011, dodging recession

Hong Kong economy expands most since 2011, dodging recession

By -
August 15, 2016
1
0
Share:
A woman walks along the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront as commercial and residential buildings stand on Hong Kong Island, rear, in Hong Kong, China, on Friday, July 22, 2016. Hong Kong's trade balance figures are scheduled to be released on July 26. Photographer: SeongJoon Cho/Bloomberg

A woman walks along the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront as commercial and residential buildings stand on Hong Kong Island, rear, in Hong Kong, China, on Friday, July 22, 2016. Hong Kong’s trade balance figures are scheduled to be released on July 26. Photographer: SeongJoon Cho/Bloomberg

Hong Kong’s economy grew at the fastest pace since March 2011 as a pick up in exports helped offset sluggish retail sales in the city.
Gross domestic product expanded 1.6 percent in the three months through June from the previous quarter, the government said in a statement Friday. That beat the median estimate for 0.5 percent growth from analysts surveyed by Bloomberg. The city’s economy unexpectedly contracted in the first quarter. Two consecutive quarters of negative growth could have meant a technical recession for the Asian financial hub.
Hong Kong’s stronger-than-expected growth came as China’s economy showed signs of stabilization after authorities stepped up policy support. The city’s government kept its prediction of 1 percent to 2 percent economic expansion this year, slower than the 2.4 percent gain last year. Economists forecast 1.2 percent growth for 2016, according to the median estimate of analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.
“The recovery in China has definitely helped Hong Kong’s economy, like the re-exports sector,” said Banny Lam, head of research at CEB International Investment Ltd. in Hong Kong. “I expect Hong Kong’s economy to continue to stabilize for the rest of the year.”
Hong Kong’s economy expanded 1.7 percent in the second quarter from a year earlier, stronger than the originally reported 0.8 expansion in January through March and beating the 0.9 percent rise expected by economists.
Retail sales in the city dropped for a sixteenth straight month in June as retailers including  Chow Tai Fook Jewellery Group Ltd. negotiate rent cuts in the city and plan store closures. Mainland Chinese visitor arrivals to the former British colony declined for a thirteenth month in June amid a weakening yuan.
The downtrend was reversed in July as Chinese visitor arrivals grew 2.2 percent from a year earlier, the South China Morning Post reported Thursday, citing Hong Kong Tourism Board Chairman Peter Lam.
“The latest visitor arrivals trend suggests that the drag from the slowdown of inbound tourism has been reducing,” the government said in a statement. “If this continues, this may help to improve the performance of services exports and to gradually stabilize retail sales in the latter part of the year.”
Hong Kong also bucked the trend in Asia as other economies in the region are suffering. Singapore on Thursday cut the top end of its 2016 growth forecast after the economy expanded less than previously estimated in the second quarter. Lisa Pham, Benny Kung and Justina Lee, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Philippines | Hundreds protest hero burial for ...

Next Article

Australian official rejects criticisms of China investor ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Beijing says military development of islands within its rights

      March 23, 2022
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Japan | Prime Minister Abe wows Rio finale as Super Mario

      August 23, 2016
      By -
    • China

      Currency | Central banker says no specific yuan level important

      June 11, 2019
      By -
    • China

      Government says trade talks with US ‘moving forward’

      April 12, 2019
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Xi, Trump vow to stabilize ties and boost cooperation

      October 31, 2025
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Companies want ‘clarity’ after security rule changes, raids on consultants: Business group

      May 24, 2023
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Quarantine rules for foreign arrivals changed to 5+3 days: Health Bureau

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Chan Meng Kam not running for AL

    • Asia-Pacific

      Officials seize over 200 tons of illegally imported electronic waste from the US

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d