MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Hungary, Romania nominees rejected for EU top jobs again

Hungary, Romania nominees rejected for EU top jobs again

By -
October 1, 2019
0
0
Share:

European Commissioner Laszlo Trocssnyi (left) and European Parliament President David Sassoli

European Union lawmakers flexed their political muscle yesterday, rejecting for a second time Hungary and Romania’s nominees for two of the bloc’s top posts amid concerns over possible conflicts of interest.
The EU parliament’s legal committee refused last week to recommend that Rovana Plumb of Romania and Laszlo Trocsanyi of Hungary be allowed to face official hearings that would determine whether they are fit to take up new commission portfolios in the EU’s powerful executive arm when it takes office in November.
Plumb was in line to become the EU’s top transport official. Trocsanyi was slated to become the commissioner in charge of future EU expansion, leading negotiations with candidate member countries. Attention focused on Plumb over some loans she had taken out, while Trocsanyi was questioned about a legal firm he founded in 1991. Both have denied any wrongdoing or conflicts of interest.
In a move that surprised some legal committee lawmakers, a new vote on the nominees was put on the agenda yesterday. After it was taken, EU Parliament spokesman Jaume Duch Guillot tweeted that the two “are unable to exercise his or her functions in accordance with the (EU) treaties and the code of conduct.”
But French lawmaker Manon Aubry — a member of the committee — complained that the parliamentarians “were forced” into a second vote.
“In what democracies are deputies forced to vote until the desired result is obtained?” she asked.
“This anti-democratic precedent is scandalous,” she tweeted. “We held our positions: the two candidates are rejected, but the attack on democracy and the weaknesses of this procedure remain.”
The committee’s vice president, Sergey Lagodinsky, tweeted that the vote “is a victory for parliamentary democracy.”
In a statement, Trocsanyi said he had learned of the committee’s decision “with great consternation” and suggested he would take legal action.
“The decision in question is indeed a collection of lies, wrong shortcuts and tendentious amalgam,” said the former Hungarian justice minister, who is also a lawyer.
The commission, the EU’s massive bureaucracy with around 33,000 staff, proposes laws for the 28 EU nations and makes sure they’re enforced. It runs everything from trade talks to consumer protection to privacy and anti-trust policies, as well as supervising national budgets and farm subsidies.
It’s the first time that commission candidates have faced conflict of interest hearings. It will now be up to incoming commission president Ursula von der Leyen to decide, together with the Hungarian and Romanian governments which put forward the two, what actions to take.
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has been a harsh critic of the current EU commission, led by Jean-Claude Juncker, notably concerning its criticism of what Brussels sees as his government’s moves to undermine the rule of law in Hungary. Trocsanyi is a member of the Orban’s ruling Fidesz party.
The current EU parliament was elected in May. Around 60% of the 751 lawmakers in the transnational assembly are new to the job. Lorne Cook, Brussels, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Saudi crown prince takes responsibility for journalist ...

Next Article

Tokyo Olympic organizers: 6,900 tickets bought through ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Offbeat | Free doomed? T-shirt typo turns heads at Mandela bicycle ride

      July 23, 2014
      By -
    • World

      This day in history | 1994 Duchess of Kent joins Catholic church

      January 14, 2021
      By -
    • World

      UK Treasury chief vows to quit if Boris Johnson becomes PM

      July 22, 2019
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Coronavirus: Wuhan draws up ‘10-day battle’ plan to test all 11 million residents

      May 13, 2020
      By -
    • World

      Yemen | New bout of heavy fighting kills dozens

      May 28, 2018
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Exploding generator started deadly Brazil hospital fire

      September 16, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      New crime proposed to tackle fraudulent mobile base stations

    • World

      White House unveils $2.5b emergency coronavirus plan

    • Macau

      Briefs | Anima’s president charged for sharing video of dog abuse

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d