MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Junket operator looks abroad as graft war stymies VIPs

Junket operator looks abroad as graft war stymies VIPs

By -
January 20, 2015
1
0
Share:

General Images From The G2E Global Gaming ExpoDavid Group, a Macau junket operator that serves higher-spending casino customers, is expanding into other Asian countries as China’s anti-corruption campaign deters VIPs from visiting the world’s largest gambling hub.
David Group is shutting three of its seven rooms that cater to high rollers at casinos in Macau, it said in a Jan. 17 statement. The company, which runs rooms at casinos including those operated by Sands China Ltd. and Wynn Macau Ltd., is taking the action as part of changes prompted by an industry downturn, Frank Ng, the company’s director of corporate communications, said in a phone interview.
“We’re adjusting our business strategy; this is a general trend in the industry,” Ng said. “We’re hibernating. Once we wake up, we can restart.” The company can reopen the rooms when the market conditions improve, he said.
David Group joined other junket operators including Suncity Group and Hengsheng Group in expanding to markets beyond Macau as the city’s casinos last year suffered their first annual decline in revenue amid Chinese President Xi Jinping’s continuing battle on corruption. The overseas plan is also part of the company’s strategy to follow the government’s guidelines to develop the city into a global tourism destination, Ng said.
SJM Holdings Ltd. led declines in casino shares, dropping 5.5 percent at the close of trading in Hong Kong to the lowest level since October 2011. MGM China Holdings Ltd. declined 4 percent, Sands China Ltd. slumped 3.8 percent, while Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd. fell by 3.4 percent. The benchmark Hang Seng Index declined 1.5 percent.
Nomura analysts led by Stella Xing wrote about the company’s plan to close VIP rooms. David Group is one of the city’s 10 biggest operators, with a 3-5 percent market share, she said, citing unidentified people at industry information provider MGG. Ng declined to comment on the market-share figure in the Jan. 15 interview or to disclose the company’s casino revenue.
The Chinese government’s clampdown on corruption and extravagance has cut David’s high-end clients’ spending on gambling tables, he said. The group expects the casino industry to recover from the fourth quarter as more resorts open, boosting customer traffic and revenue, Ng said.
David Group, which also runs a travel company, owns private jets and luxury cars such as Mercedes-Benz to take rich Chinese gamblers to Macau and around the former Portuguese colony.
The stricter traveling rules in Macau have diverted more gamblers away from the territory and caused them to go to places with easier access, Ng said.
David Group is taking more wealthy customers to Asian centers with more relaxed visa approval process, such as Manila, Vietnam and South Korea, Ng said. The company plans to enter the Australian market by the end of the year and later to expand to Europe, he said, without providing a timeframe.
David takes its VIPs shopping and sightseeing, and allows them to gamble at its private rooms in local casinos, he said.
As part of its marketing strategies to draw gamblers, David Group publishes a lifestyle magazine in China to promote its brand. It also owns a film production company. Stephanie Wong, MDT/Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsGaming
Previous Article

SJM to review management procedures after sex ...

Next Article

STATISTICS | Casino revenue down 2.5 percent ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Fitch forecasts further improvement supported by steady tourism recovery

      February 22, 2024
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Junkets to guarantee gov’t with MOP1.5m in legal overhaul

      December 29, 2022
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • Macau

      Casinos surpass expectations in October as high-end gaming leads recovery

      November 4, 2025
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Galaxy’s President and Rio casinos close; SJM extends Grand Emperor Casino

      June 17, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      Galaxy posts 14% rise in Q3 revenue despite typhoon impact

      November 7, 2025
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      SJM’s satellite casino closures to have limited credit impact, says Fitch

      June 17, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Religion | As Pope Francis faces crisis in Rome, cardinal warns of split in China

    • Sports

      Shanghai on brink of Chinese title after win at Guangzhou

    • Sports

      Skiing | Fenninger strikes again, wins super-G in Bulgaria

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d