MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Local couple accused of perpetrating HKD10 million chips scam

Local couple accused of perpetrating HKD10 million chips scam

By Renato Marques, MDT
October 8, 2020
1
0
Share:

A local couple has been detained on the charge of carrying out a scam involving HKD10 million in casino chips, the Judiciary Police (PJ) revealed yesterday during a special press conference to discuss the case.
The alleged actions are those of a 33-year-old man, a member of the Macau Security Force (FSM) since 2006, and his wife, a 25-year-old woman, also a local resident.
The case was discovered on October 2 when two local men filed a complaint accusing the couple of fraud.
The complainants told the PJ they had given the suspects a total of HKD10 million in gaming chips to be converted into cash.
They also said that this was a service previously offered by the same couple, and that they had used the couple’s services on previous occasions without any problem.
They also mentioned having given the couple a total of HKD20 million to be withdrawn at the casino cages between August and September. The couple would provide the service, completing the transactions within a week and requesting compensation equivalent to 6% of the value of the chips.
On September 7, the complainants gave the couple more gaming chips. The couple did not immediately perform the transaction as they usually did, and as of September 10 there was no sign of the money.
When questioned by the clients, the first suspect replied that he did not have the full sum of money, as the wife had lost the amount at the gaming tables. On that occasion, the man only managed to reimburse the victims HKD1,080,000.
Since the couple never provided the remaining owed cash, the complainants decided to press charges against them, claiming to have been tricked and involved in a fraud.
As the PJ spokesperson explained, the two victims are in reality intermediaries for actual gamblers from the mainland who, due to the pandemic, have not been able to exchange their gaming chips as usual, via bank transfers using the casinos’ VIP rooms.
He also added that the two men would eventually charge 7% of the value of the chips to the original chip owners in the mainland, earning the 1% difference.
On October 5, the second suspect was caught by the police while attempting to exit Macau via the Border Gate border post. The husband was detained at home the following day.
The PJ said that when taken into questioning, both refused to cooperate with the police, and the woman, at the time she was detained, only said that she had no knowledge or means of performing the exchange of chips for cash.
Following its investigation, although the suspects have not cooperated or admitted to the crime, the PJ has stated that it has found sufficient evidence that the couple was colluding in all the aforementioned activities.
They were presented to the Public Prosecutions Office yesterday morning, to be charged under Article 211 of the Macau Penal Code with aggravated fraud, facing a potential penalty of 2 to 10 years’ imprisonment.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

World Press Photo Exhibition closed without warning

Next Article

Angela Leong hints at delay of Cotai ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Macau Grand Prix | Secretary Tam says safety precautions are standard

      November 19, 2018
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Pearl Horizon buyers stage protest on National Day

      October 4, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Chan Kai Chon appointed as IC deputy-director

      January 10, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      Covid-19 | Traces of virus found in mass NAT taker

      October 6, 2021
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      ART | Chinese calligraphy masterpieces at MAM

      September 11, 2015
      By -
    • EditorialMacauOpinion

      Editorial | Airport 2020

      September 11, 2020
      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Asia-Pacific

      Australia | Law lets gov’t ban extremists for up to two years

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Art for All Society’s 10th anniversary exhibition

    • Sports

      Rugby | NZ union debates selling All Blacks share to US investors

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d