MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›May 1 | Employment security tops concerns

May 1 | Employment security tops concerns

By Brook Yang
May 1, 2015
1
0
Share:

Casino workers will again take their appeals to the street to mark Labor Day today. The Forefront of Macau Gaming (FMG) and the Confederation of Trade Unions (CTU) stated in a joint press conference that the emphasis of their demands would shift to employment security this year, drawing on the downfalls of the gaming industry.
The union had previously stressed casino workers’ demands of a full smoking ban in order to promote a healthier working environment, as well as a pay rise and better welfare. This year, the march organizers will continue to appeal for a salary increase to cope with inflation, and push for a full smoking ban to be eventually put into place. Furthermore, they will urge for an exit mechanism for migrant workers in the city.
The CTU chairman, Ms Cloee Chao, told the media that the industry downturn has caused local workers to lose their jobs in gambling rooms, whereas the migrant workers tended to avoid this job loss.
The groups also said that they have constantly received complaints from workers that they were issued warning letters from the employer despite not having done anything wrong. Accordingly, the protest would urge the Labor Bureau to intervene as workers worry that casinos might be using such move to downsize.
Ms Chao stressed that the protest today would focus on urging the government to keep a strong stance facing casino operators during the revenue plunge, and continuing its oppositional stance of hiring non-local workers for the position of croupiers.
The FMG also stated that the ratio of migrant workers in Macau’s casinos has exceeded the “alarming line” of 20 percent to reach over 35 percent. “We urge that the government must suppress the overflow of migrant workers and establish an exit mechanism for them in order to protect the locals’ employment,” stated the group’s representative, Mr Well Ung.
Ung said they believe that “the casino operators are still earning enough,” thus they shouldn’t shirk the responsibilities of providing employees with subsidies, commuting transport, pay rise system and retirement security.
Apart from casino workers, there will be frontline public servants, taxi drivers and other types of workers in the transportation industry, joining the Labor Day march. According to the Public Security Police, a total of thirteen groups and one individual will be organizing demonstrations today, and the total number of protesters is estimated to be at about 2,000.
The march is scheduled to proceed from 10:15am to 5pm, where 13 processions will assemble and depart from six different locations, including Iao Hon Park, Tap Seac Square, the Border Gate Square, Triangular Garden, Amizade Square, and the Macau Tower Square. The protesters will conclude the march by delivering their petition letters to the Government Headquarters and the Chinese Liaison
Office respectively.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Organizers pledge to diversify ‘Le French May’ ...

Next Article

Cultural Consultative Committee | Estoril Hotel basic ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-PacificBreaking NewsMacau

      Asia Today: Australian PM defends Melbourne lockdown

      July 8, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Lawmaker slams gov’t unpreparedness for Oriental Pearl congestion

      February 20, 2023
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      GBA survey suggests salary rise in 2024

      October 20, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Ask The Vet | A guide to cat dental care in macau

      February 4, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      Average earnings plunge by nearly 12% in some sectors

      September 2, 2020
      By -
    • Macau

      Payment period of vehicle circulation tax to end Mar. 31

      March 28, 2023
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      Economy grew 5.4% in the first quarter as exporters rushed to beat Trump’s tariffs

    • Macau

      Breaking News: Sands China announces Grant Chum as the new CEO and president

    • World

      Biden says US sending medium-range rocket systems to Ukraine

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d