MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›‘New Macau under huge pressure’ over voting activity, says Chao

‘New Macau under huge pressure’ over voting activity, says Chao

By Renato Marques, MDT
August 26, 2019
2
0
Share:

This September 2016 photo shows political activist Jason Chao at the offices of the New Macau Association

Political activist and international observer Jason Chao voiced his disagreement with a statement published last Saturday by the New Macau Association (ANM, from the Portuguese-language acronym). The Association statement, in the name of New Macau President Icy Kam, claims that the ANM’s online voting activity which is seeking feedback from the population on universal suffrage for the election of the Chief Executive had been suspended due to the fact that the webpage had been “affected by technical factors.”

In a statement to the Times, Chao said that he was surprised by such a decision and the claims from the ANM.
“I am shocked by the ANM’s decision to bring the vote to a premature end and delay the announcement of results,” said Chao, adding, “since I am neither politically responsible for the vote nor involved in the decision-making process, in the absence of future information, I cannot comment on the ANM’s decision.”

Chao describes himself as the technology supplier for the voting activity.

In the short statement, the ANM called for an early closing of voting (one day earlier than expected), and announced that contrary to what was announced, the results would not be disclosed yesterday, but postponed to this afternoon.

Chao said that the statement and decisions of the ANM were a “stunt” to avoid the pressure the Association suffered for hosting such an activity.
On Saturday, Chao said to the Times, “New Macau will not tell the truth because it is under huge pressure not to announce the results [yesterday].”

But, according to Chao, the worst consequence of the postponement of the results is that the ANM’s decision to give in to external pressures may lead to the public no longer believing in the integrity and safety of the system.

“As the supplier of the technology for the vote, I must assure the public that no civic voting technology applied and supported by me has ever experienced a technical issue which could bring a vote to a premature end or lead to a delay in the announcement of results,” Chao said, contradicting the New Macau statement.

“I received no report that the integrity or security of the data was compromised.  Personally, I do not understand the reference to ‘abnormalities’ [made] in the ANM statement,” Chao concluded in his clarification of the problems happening and claims regarding the cause of the interruption.

Yesterday, after announcing the result of the election for the Chief Executive in which the sole candidate Ho Iat Seng was elected with a total of 392 votes in favor, seven blank votes and one vote considered invalid, the ANM issued a statement where the Association continued its call for a more democratic system to elect local leaders.

However, the statement did not make any reference to the voting activity conducted by the association to solicit the opinions of voters on a Chief Executive election conducted by universal suffrage – entitling each resident to a vote.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Hong Kong Protesters form human chain ...

Next Article

Retail sales decline in second quarter

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Inward investment totaled MOP29b in 2022

      October 26, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Gov’t busts sale of undeclared medicines

      August 18, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Infrastructure | Six companies compete for LRT depot construction

      July 6, 2016
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      China national security law to override Hong Kong legal system

      June 22, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Courier denies occurrence of difficulties delivering shipments to Europe

      July 7, 2021
      By -
    • Macau

      Creative City of Gastronomy food festival returns

      August 21, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Panama, familiar with US intervention, bristles at Trump’s comments on canal

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Putin and Xi to meet in Uzbekistan next week, official says

    • Macau

      Melco announces innovative retail partnership at Studio City

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d