MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›New Macau visits Canidrome site calling for speedier adoptions

New Macau visits Canidrome site calling for speedier adoptions

By Daniel Beitler, MDT
September 11, 2018
1
0
Share:

An aspect of the Canidrome before its closure

The New Macau Association yesterday organized a visit to the site of the now-closed Macau (Yat Yuen) Canidrome in the hope of pressuring the Canidrome company to expedite the adoption process by eliminating administrative procedures.

The democrat political association is also calling for the latest information on the care provided to the former racing animals.

“The Canidrome company should provide more information about the adoption process,” Sulu Sou, lawmaker and New Macau member, told the Times. “I know that there are many people who want to adopt the greyhounds – both locally and internationally – but administrative procedures are [proving to be] a hindrance to solving the adoption problem.”

Also yesterday, in his role as lawmaker, Sou submitted a letter to the government calling for it to release in full a study conducted on the possible future use of the Canidrome land plot.

Late last month, the government announced that two-thirds of the approximately 26,500-square-meter plot would be reserved for sports facilities. Twenty percent would be used for education purposes, nearly 10 percent for social services and government facilities and about 5 percent for pedestrian use.
The decision stemmed from a study conducted by the New Territories Urban Planning and Engineering Consultancy Co., which examined possible uses for the land after the greyhound racing concession expired. The government contract was worth a total of MOP1.45 million.

In yesterday’s letter, Sou invoked a general procedure for more information, calling on the government to release the study in full.

“When the government [spends] more than 1 million patacas [on a project], then the public deserves to know what the product was,” he insisted with the Times. Like many people, he said, “I can’t give an opinion on that [the government’s decision] as I don’t have enough information on what the study said.”

Sou also said that it would have been better for the authorities to conduct a public consultation on the future uses of the former greyhound racing site as “it is a large area and affects many residents, especially those in the northern district.”

The Canidrome closed its doors on July 20 this year after its concession expired. It had operated in Macau for more than half a century.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 – edition no. ...

Next Article

Our Desk | Followers’ disease

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Zhuhai railway to open Zhuhai to Hengqin station

      January 11, 2024
      By -
    • Macau

      Gov’t plans to recruit more medical specialists from mainland China

      January 9, 2026
      By Yuki Lei, MDT
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Digital yuan debuts in futures transaction

      August 24, 2021
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Police target non-drivers in driving offence crackdown

      August 30, 2016
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesWorld

      Queen Elizabeth II mourned by Britain and world at funeral

      September 20, 2022
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Resident deposits decrease 0.1 pct

      October 7, 2014
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Multi-property VP receives accolade from Marriott International Greater China

    • Daily Edition

      Thursday, June 19 2025 – edition no. 4741

    • Asia-Pacific

      Afghanistan | Taliban attack on Afghan hotel ends after 13 hours, 18 dead

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d