MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›North Korea orders military takeover of inter-Korean factory

North Korea orders military takeover of inter-Korean factory

By -
February 12, 2016
1
0
Share:
South Korean cargo trucks head to the North Korean city of Kaesong as South Korean Army soldiers stand guard at the customs, immigration and quarantine office near the border village of Panmunjom in Paju

South Korean cargo trucks head to the North Korean city of Kaesong as South Korean Army soldiers stand guard at the customs, immigration and quarantine office near the border village of Panmunjom in Paju

North Korea yesterday ordered a military takeover of a factory park that was the last major symbol of cooperation with South Korea, saying Seoul’s suspension of operations at the jointly run facility was a “dangerous declaration of war.”
Pyongyang said it was immediately deporting the hundreds of South Koreans who work at the complex just across the world’s most heavily armed border in the city of Kaesong, pulling out the tens of thousands of North Korean employees and freezing all South Korean assets. The North also said it was shutting down two crucial cross-border communication hotlines.
An immediate worry in Seoul was whether all South Korean workers would be allowed to leave; some analysts speculated that Pyongyang would hold onto some to get all the wages owed to North Korean workers.
Some South Korean workers left Kaesong before the North’s announcement, and a handful of others were seen leaving afterward, but South Korean officials didn’t know what would happen to its nationals who had not departed by Pyongyang’s 5:30 p.m. yesterday (Seoul time) expulsion deadline; they also didn’t know how many remained at the factories. South Korea said it would ban reporters from the border crossing today.
Well after the deadline passed, workers at Kaesong told The Associated Press by phone that they had been instructed to wait for further instructions from South Korean officials.
A manager at a South Korean apparel company at the complex, who declined to give his name, said he and one other South Korean at his company were waiting in an office for word about when they could leave. He said he did not see any North Korean officials and did not know whether other South Koreans were there.
“I was told not to bring anything but personal goods, so I’ve got nothing but my clothes to take back,” the man said.
The South’s Unification Ministry, which is responsible for ties with the North, said about 130 South Koreans had planned to enter Kaesong yesterday to begin shutdown work, and that nearly 70 South Koreans who had been staying there would be leaving.
South Korea’s Yonhap news agency, citing an unidentified military official, reported that South Korea bolstered its military readiness and strength along the western portion of the border in the event of a North Korean provocation. The report didn’t elaborate on what that meant, and Seoul’s Defense Ministry said it couldn’t confirm the report.
The North’s moves, announced by the North’s Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea, significantly raised the stakes in a standoff that began with North Korea’s nuclear test last month, followed by a long-range rocket launch on Sunday that outsiders see as a banned test of ballistic missile technology. South Korea’s responded by beginning work to suspend operations at the factory park, one of its harshest possible punishment options.
North Korea called the South’s shutdown a “dangerous declaration of war” and a “declaration of an end to the last lifeline of the North-South
relations.” Such over-the-top rhetoric is typical of the North’s propaganda, but the country appeared to be backing up its language with its strong response.
North Korea, in its statement, also issued crude insults against South Korea’s President Park Geun-­hye, saying she masterminded the shutdown and calling her a “confrontational wicked woman” who lives upon “the groin of her American boss.” Such sexist language is also typical of North Korean propaganda.
Seoul said its decision on Kaesong was an effort to stop Pyongyang from using hard currency from the park to develop its nuclear and missile programs. Ahn Young-Joon, Paju, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

USA Elections | Republican candidates hope for ...

Next Article

Health | Beijing reports first case of ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-PacificBuzz

      Japan’s Sado gold mine gains UNESCO status after Tokyo pledges to exhibit dark WWII history

      July 29, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Philippines | Duterte refuses call to open his bank accounts to scrutiny

      September 14, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Indonesia | Dozens missing after ferry sinks in Lake Toba

      June 20, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Japan finds 19 more dengue fever cases

      September 2, 2014
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Protest erupts in India’s capital city over lynching of Hindu man in Bangladesh

      December 24, 2025
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Tillerson heads to Asia with North Korea tensions high

      March 15, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Severe traffic expected during San Ma Lou roadworks

    • China

      Tech | Regulators order ride-hailing firms to correct unfair tactics

    • Forum

      São Tomé and Príncipe returns to previous standard time

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d