MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Poon says spam phone calls ‘very low tech’

Poon says spam phone calls ‘very low tech’

By Paulo Barbosa
March 29, 2018
1
1
Share:

Vandy Poon

Macau is no exception with respect to phone scams, the chief executive officer of Companhia de Telecomunicações de Macau (CTM) said at a press conference yesterday. Vandy Poon was replying to reporters’ questions about what the Judiciary Police (PJ) deemed “a new wave of phone scams” targeting Macau phone users earlier this week.

“The telecom fraud has been notorious around the world. Macau is not unique. Every time Macau has a hit, the neighboring regions also have. That is why we have a cooperation mechanism with authorities,” the CEO said. Noting that in the past the PJ has been able to crack down some of the cases, he said that, if necessary, CTM can “stop some of the calls,” but it is very difficult to end the attacks permanently.

“To my understanding, those calls were not based on data or any database. They were made in a random fashion and are very low tech,” Poon said. According to the CEO, it is the police and authorities who have the competence to make public warnings on such matters.

Poon acknowledged that there is a new flow of suspicious calls from numbers based in countries such as Papua New Guinea, Tonga, South Sudan and Somalia. Revealing that CTM has been working since last weekend with authorities, he gave some advice to the public: “The awareness of such danger [phone scams] is very well known to the community. Citizens should pay attention when receiving suspicious calls. There is no harm in receiving the calls. But don’t engage with them [the callers]. Basically, don’t send any money.”  

The CEO’s allegations that the current wave of attacks is low-tech matches with a statement sent this week to the Times by the Macao Post and Telecommunications Bureau (CTT), which regulates the sector. CTT said there was a “very low possibility that the customer databases of Macau’s telecom operators have been breached by hackers” and that “the scammers target Macau’s citizens on a massive scale with randomly generated numbers confirming to Macau’s numbering plan.”

CTM PROFIT SHRINKS

Prior to the press conference, the telecommunications operator organized a lunch with local journalists. During his speech at the lunch, Vandy Poon reviewed CTM’s performance in 2017. Last year, the company recorded revenue of MOP3,585 million. The profit for the year was MOP881 million, which was a 19 percent decrease compared to 2016.

CTM, a company majorly owned by CITIC Telecom International Holdings, attributed the profit decline to “the pressure of multiple tariff reduction.”

The company invested MOP385 million over the last year in projects such as enhancements to the quality of the full fiber-optic network and 4G+ mobile network, as well as expanding the Wi-Fi hotspot coverage. Currently, CTM has around 44 percent share of the mobile phone market in Macau and is the main Internet service provider.

The company’s CEO was asked to comment on the motives behind the 19 percent reduction in profit. “A tariff reduction creates a negative impact to our profit, of course. But at the same time, it popularizes our services. So it has negative and positive impacts,” he said. Claiming that the current CTM tariffs are “very reasonable and competitive,” Poon added that the company needs to strike a balance between that and the need to introduce new services, which require investments.

“We hope we will rebound a little bit this year with regards to profit,” the CEO stated, predicting “a slight increase” in the 2018 results.

Support to cyber security

CTM HAS expressed a favorable opinion regarding the cyber security bill during the recent public consultation period and requested access to the final draft. Vandy Poon claimed that the new requirements, introduced to both users and suppliers of network, will enhance safety. “Without a proper law, each user will face risks,” he said.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Brexit in a year | Divide and ...

Next Article

Friday, March 30, 2018 – edition no. ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Exports grow 8.6% in June, beating forecasts despite trade tensions

      July 15, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesWorld

      Trump’s reshaping of higher education tests America’s appeal for int’l students

      May 13, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Uber withdraws from Taiwan citing world-highest fines

      February 3, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Golden Bus frequency up to 30 trips per day

      December 27, 2022
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • Macau

      Football | Anfield’s next expansion may be larger than first planned

      July 26, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      Opinion | Macau rolls the dice on China’s luxury renaissance

      April 7, 2017
      By -

    1 comment

    1. james 29 March, 2018 at 18:00 Log in to Reply

      After Facebook now Namo App user data is not safe — Big privacy Concern

      After the viral exposure of loopholes in the Aadhaar security system in January’17 now it’s all about the Namo app it is being claimed that the application shares private information of its users with third party companies without their consent.

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      ‘I will do my very best to win this weekend,’ Mick Schumacher says

    • World

      Models with Down syndrome strike a pose for World Down Syndrome Day 

    • HeadlinesMacau

      ID: Grand Prix appeal remains despite race change

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d