MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Sam Hou Fai resigns from top judge post ahead of elections
CE Run

Sam Hou Fai resigns from top judge post ahead of elections

By Renato Marques, MDT
August 27, 2024
1
0
Share:

Sam Hou Fai, the judge and president of the Court of Final Appeal (TUI), has been exonerated from his posts by the Chief Executive (CE) at his request, according to an executive order published yesterday in the government’s official gazette.

The CE order, effective from Wednesday (Aug. 28), said Sam will be exonerated from his positions as president of the TUI and as a member of the independent commission responsible for nominating candidates for judicial positions.

It is believed this move is linked to earlier statements by Sam, indicating he is considering running for the position of Macau’s next Chief Executive.

According to election rules, candidates for this position must step down from any roles of political or governmental influence before officially declaring their candidacy.

Sam’s exoneration aligns with the nomination period for candidates to run for the election of the sixth term of CE of Macau Special Administrative Region, which runs from Aug. 29 to Sept. 12.

Speculation around Sam’s potential candidacy has grown since the current CE, Ho Iat Seng, announced last week that he would not seek re-election due to health issues.

In a statement to the media mid last week, Ho finally broke the silence over the matter, clarifying that his health “has not been fully restored” and expressing gratitude for the support he has received throughout his term.

“I have profound feelings for Macau and have done my utmost for Macau’s development, but since my health has not been fully restored, for the sake of Macau’s long-term development, I have decided not to participate in the election for the sixth-term Chief Executive,” he said.

According to the Chief Executive Election Law, high-ranking officials or judicial officers must resign or retire before the nomination period begins; otherwise, they cannot be nominated as candidates.

The election of the new CE is on Oct. 13 when a collegial committee of 400 people will vote to elect one candidate.

Since the first CE election in May 1999, when Edmund Ho was elected as the first-ever CE after defeating Stanley Au with around 83% of votes, all other election terms candidates have run uncontested.

Ho Iat Seng was the only one of three CEs so far who has not served two consecutive terms.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

MGTO unveils MOP27 million campaign to attract ...

Next Article

Incineration plant in Pac On completed

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • BuzzMacau

      Elon Musk to visit Macau in April on a fact-finding mission, sources say

      April 1, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      Nick Lei criticizes LRT operation, claims most of the work is yet to be done

      December 15, 2023
      By -
    • HeadlinesWorld

      Iraq | Islamic State bombing of Shiite area in Baghdad kills 63

      May 12, 2016
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Couto gets podium on Fuji 24-hour race

      June 4, 2018
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Crime | Luck of the tables runs out with friends

      September 25, 2018
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Visitors slowly return, 61,901 recorded over New Year’s weekend

      January 4, 2023
      By Renato Marques, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      IAS to conduct study on daycare center demand

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Man torches police station, prosecutions office

    • Daily Edition

      Friday, February 6, 2015 – edition no. 2245

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d