MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Sands China: Gov’t deliberation on concession in ‘good progress’
Gaming

Sands China: Gov’t deliberation on concession in ‘good progress’

By Lynzy Valles, MDT
October 21, 2022
1
0
Share:

Sands China has held several rounds of discussion with the government regarding the current gaming tender deliberation and is expecting a notice on the next development by the end of the month. 

The information was revealed by Wilfred Wong, president of Sands China, in a third quarter earnings call with analysts.

According to the executive, the group is waiting for the government notification on whether there will be another round of discussion and confirmed that the timetable remains the same.

“Everything is in good progress, and we expect some notification towards the end of the month for us to know the next steps,” he added.

The gaming operator is optimistic that the entire process will be concluded by the end of the year, as previously stated by the government.

The city’s gaming operators have all submitted their bids, competing for six concessions to operate for 10 years.

The government is currently deliberating on who among the seven companies that submitted proposals will acquire a concession. 

Rob Goldstein, chairman and CEO of Las Vegas Sands, has expressed that although the “operating environment remains difficult,” the parent company remains a “big believer in Macau as a world center of tourism and leisure.”

“We have been the biggest investor and have operated non-gaming businesses over the past two decades in Macau. We absolutely welcome the opportunity to invest even more in the non-gaming products and offerings in Macau,” Goldstein said during the earnings call. 

Pivoting to the resumption of group tours and e-visas by the end of the month or early November, the CEO said the group remains cautious about predicting the outcome of the easing of restrictions for mainland travelers.

“Predictions on Macau have been erroneous these last couple of years because we do not know who is going to come, and we do not know when they will close the market. It has been stopping the resumption of business for so long. It is silly for us to pontificate on the exact gains in EBITDA,” he said.

Casinos in the city have been burning millions of dollars in cash each day as gaming revenues continue to slump.

Although the local government is hopeful about the positive economic effects of visa resumptions, the spending power of these travelers is not as powerful as those traveling under Individual Visit Scheme (IVS) visas.

According to Grant Chum, CEO and executive director of Sands China, group package tours represented roughly one quarter of visits before the pandemic.

“With respect to electronic visas, we don’t have those numbers. Obviously, it varies significantly from province-to-province. But clearly, the provision or availability of that mode of application absolutely is helpful to facilitate the visa application for those relevant provinces.”

“Hopefully, as we get out further into the fourth quarter with these recent measures, we’re going to start to see a more well-rounded mix of visitation building up towards the end of the year,” he added. 

losses widen in Q3

The total net revenues for the gaming operator decreased to USD251 million, compared to USD611 million in the third quarter of 2021. The net loss was USD472 million, compared to USD423 million in the third quarter of 2021.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsGaming
Previous Article

City may face another cyclone this weekend

Next Article

Criteria to send local doctors for training ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t drops casino venue ownership rule to save satellites

      May 16, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Analysts forecast slower April GGR growth after strong March

      April 3, 2026
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • Business

      Galaxy 1H profit up 19% as Thailand plans on radar

      August 13, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      New concessionaires will have to reemploy closed satellite casino workers

      December 7, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Baccarat accounts for 84% of all GGR during Q1, VIP still lagging behind

      April 19, 2023
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Operators to face extra 20% of non-gaming investment if GGR tops MOP180b

      December 22, 2022
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT

    • Macau

      DSAL hosts job matching sessions

    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      SJM supports 2021 World Environment Day

    • Sports

      MOTO GP | Lorenzo claims fourth victory in a row

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d