MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Sports | Badminton open features world champion and many promising players

Sports | Badminton open features world champion and many promising players

By João Pedro Lau
November 5, 2014
2
0
Share:
Lei Mingji

Lei Mingji

The 2014 Macau Open Badminton (MOB) competition will take place between November 25 and 30 at Tap Seac Multisport Pavilion. Organized by the Badminton Federation of Macau (BFM), the tournament is part of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Grand Prix Gold Series. During a BFM press conference yesterday, Lei Mingji, the consultant of the federation and the MOB organizing committee, declared that many of the players in the 2014 MOB will become the future stars of the badminton world.
Mr Lei said that there are several highlights in this year’s tournament. One of them is the increase in the number of participants, which currently stands at 341 athletes and 100 officials. “Compared to last year, [the total number of participating players] has increased by 10 percent,” he said.
“The number of participating countries [this year]… is 22, four more than last year’s 18. However, what I think people should pay attention to is that the four new countries are all European countries: Poland, Italy, Netherlands and Germany,” he said.
“When we first organized the tournament, we thought that it is less likely for European players to take part in MOB. I think having [the new European countries] is a great highlight. This shows the influence of MOB in these countries, that the tournament has finally attracted the attention of European athletes after years of hard work by the Macau Sport Development Board (ID) and BFM,” Mr Lei added.
Moreover, Lei Mingji suggested that the level of competition this year is high, despite the fact that some prominent mainland badminton players will not take part in the tournament. “There is one thing I want the media to pay attention to: among those female [badminton] athletes who ranked top 20 in the world, ten of them have signed up [for MOB 2014]”, he stated. Some of the athletes Mr Lei mentioned included Saina Nehwal from India, who is currently ranked fifth in the world and Carolina Marin from Spain, ranked eighth. The Spaniard became the most recent badminton star on August 31 after defeating Li Xuerui from China in the BWF World Championships women’s singles final in Denmark. She is also the European Champion.
Mr Lei pointed out that many of the players who are joining this year’s Macau Open are in their late teens or early twenties. “This means that they will be replacing those experienced players who are currently the most renowned. Therefore, in this year’s MOB, we will be able to see those who will dominate the badminton world in two to three years,” he said.
Lei Mingji later spoke to the Times on the sidelines and said that MOB, currently in its ninth year, has achieved a lot in promoting the sport and elevating Macau’s position in BWF.
He also observed that Macau badminton players, especially the younger players, have become increasingly competitive in recent years and are able to pose a threat to their international opponents. This is despite the fact that the training in Macau is, as Mr Lei described, “more amateur than amateur”.
More local schools are requesting BFM to assist them and send coaches for their students as well. This, Mr Lei said, identifies the increasing popularity of the sport in Macau.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Man jailed for unconsented filming

Next Article

TDM and Portuguese state-owned TV update cooperation ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Sulu Sou urges restoration of live poultry sale

      July 1, 2019
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      ‘No need to rush’ urban renewal, says Rosário

      August 21, 2019
      By Julie Zhu, MDT
    • Macau

      Boxing | Zou Shiming ready to make history in first world title fight

      March 6, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      ERIC SAUTEDE | USJ alumni demand reinstatement of sacked scholar

      July 7, 2014
      By -
    • ChinaMacau

      New virus has infected more than 28,200 people globally

      February 6, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gambling watchdog refrains from commenting on MJC saga

      August 28, 2023
      By Anthony Lam, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      Analysis | Rethinking the US-China fight: Does China really threaten American power abroad?

    • HeadlinesMacau

      GP to celebrate 70th anniversary with 11 racing events, four international ones

    • EditorialExtra Times

      Jack Black

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d