MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Survey | Large majority of locals not interested in moving to Hengqin

Survey | Large majority of locals not interested in moving to Hengqin

By -
August 4, 2015
3
0
Share:
Computerized picture of Hengqin

Computerized picture of Hengqin

A survey of local residents conducted by the Macao Youth Federation showed that over eighty percent of respondents had no interest in moving to Hengqing to live or work, neither through purchasing nor renting properties there.
The group successfully interviewed 500 residents over the age of 18 between February 26 and 28, and released the findings during a press conference on Sunday. According to a vice-director of the federation’s Macau Youth Politics Training Program Committee, Lei Chi U, only about 9.1 percent of the respondents said they had considered moving to Hengqin or buying homes there, whereas 85 percent said that they had no such intention.
Lei indicated the main reasons attracting those residents to move to Hengqin were the cheaper rent and lower property prices combined with a higher quality of living. However, the survey didn’t ask for the reasons why the rest had no interest.
The survey also showed that only about 10 percent of residents were willing to work on the neighboring island, where a free trade zone was established this year with preferential policies for Macau investors and enterprises. Over 80 percent of respondents said that they hadn’t considered working there; and nearly 70 percent of them believed that the employment conditions in Macau were better than those in Hong Kong and the mainland.
In order to attract young people from Macau and simulate industrial diversification, Hengqin has recently opened an Entrepreneurship Valley for Macau Youth that aims to provide an incubation center for local start-ups. About 30 businesses have moved in after the inauguration, with about 170 applications pending.
According to the survey, 23 percent of respondents said that they planned to start up their own business, or had already done so. Amongst those, one fifth of them intended to set the enterprise up in Hengqin, as they were attracted by Hengqin’s development prospect, cheaper rent and the funding from the government. However, over 40 percent of respondents also said that they were unfamiliar with the entrepreneurial environment in Hengqin.
Regarding Macau residents’ “low interest” in participating in the development of the neighboring island, the federation’s chairman, Chan Sao Chai, urged the governments from both sides to jointly set up a one-stop platform in Macau to provide information about Hengqin, including about planning, taxation and legal protection, in order to increase public awareness of the area.
Ms Chan suggested that inconvenient transportation and restrictions on Internet access might be the main reasons hindering Macau youths’ desire to move there. “They need to show Macau residents which department they can look to for help if they encounter any difficulties when they move to Hengqin in the future, especially after the authorities have allowed vehicles access to Hengqin,” she said.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

CRIME | Henpecked Korean gambler makes false ...

Next Article

World Briefs

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Steve Wynn surrenders control over ex-wife Elaine’s shares

      February 12, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      15 arrested in illegal casino raid

      February 4, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Covid-19 | Gov’t encourages vaccination with PCR waiver

      May 18, 2021
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      Statistics Visitors up 14.5% in August

      September 25, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      Gov’t wants to promote national strategies through local media

      April 3, 2018
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t to spend MOP235m next year to attract international tourists

      November 2, 2023
      By Anthony Lam, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Australian casinos close amid surge in Covid-19 cases

    • Macau

      ‘Belgian Days’ to kick off this weekend

    • Business

      Japan, China sign agreement on ETF cross-investment program

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d