MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›‘The Audition’ slated to cost USD70 million

‘The Audition’ slated to cost USD70 million

By -
October 29, 2015
2
0
Share:
Lawrence Ho (left) and James Packer (2nd from left) pose with film stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro, director Martin Scorsese and producer Brett Ratner

Lawrence Ho (left) and James Packer (2nd from left) pose with film stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro, director Martin Scorsese and producer Brett Ratner

In an interview with the LA Times, Australian gaming magnate James Packer has refused to confirm the alleged USD70 million price tag, attached to Studio City’s opening-night promotional movie “The Audition.” Packer was a partner in the production of the film and, according to the newspaper, opening-day media materials avoided putting an exact figure on the movie. However, Packer did not deny that such expenditure was excessive.
USD70 million was the figure that began to circulate last year before the trailer was released online at the start of the year. Some media outlets reported that the actors earned USD13 million each for the movie, despite the fact that it took less than a week to shoot.
The film, Martin Scorsese’s latest, stars Robert De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt. The plot revolves around De Niro and DiCaprio, playing themselves, unexpectedly realizing that they are competing for the same role in an imaginary Scorsese film. According to the LA Times, Brad Pitt doesn’t appear on screen until the 12-minute mark.
Scorsese, De Niro and DiCaprio were in town on Tuesday as Melco Crown Entertainment officially opened its Hollywood-themed Studio City resort. The casino resort showed the movie in the 5,000-seat theater, in what was described as an “intimate” environment.
According to the LA Times, James Packer is alleged to have said, “The way I think about it is [that] our company, Australia Crown, is paying for half of it, and Lawrence’s [Ho] company is paying for the other half of it. And so if the numbers that are quoted are right, and it’s over three years, and you divide that by two, its 11 bucks a year,” he said, “for the best marketing campaign in the history of the world. So it depends on how you allocate and look at it.”
“If that was the case [that the film cost USD70 million], and you thought about it the way I just described it, all of a sudden it’s not so much.”
In the same interview, Mr Ho said that the short film was an “incredible” way to promote the resort in the age of social media and smartphones. He added that it conformed with the MSAR’s policy to diversify Macau’s economy and ease the region’s reliance on the gaming industry.
“Nobody in this market, at least from the government’s stand-
point, has seen anything like this. This is a really historic moment for Macau,” said Ho.
“The Audition” has come under some criticism since its debut at the Busan International Film Festival earlier this month. The movie had previously been pulled from the Venice Film Festival, allegedly because of “technical issues,” though some believe that its unashamed commercialism may have been the real cause.
In a news conference on Tuesday, Scorsese defended the project, saying he
had great creative freedom. “A short film is even tougher in a way,” he said. “It has to be something that’s not a prologue to a bigger work. It has to be contained in and of itself.” Staff Reporter

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Al Plenary | Monthly car park passes ...

Next Article

Tuen Mun ferries set to return

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Academic says ‘stay home’ policy may increase risk of domestic violence

      April 17, 2020
      By -
    • Macau

      Crime | PJ storms 19 flats equipped with mobile base stations at Border Gate

      February 17, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      Business veteran running in by-election

      August 28, 2019
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Lawmaker, lawyer call for independent supervisor for call monitoring

      April 7, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      Festival promotes region’s maritime history

      August 17, 2017
      By -
    • Corporate BitsMacau

      Sands launches ‘Joie De Vivre At The Parisian’

      August 21, 2024
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • ChinaPhoto Shop

      Jewels of Italy showcase in Hong Kong: The craft of beauty by Italian jewelers

    • World

      Offbeat | Kevin Bacon to perform on stage in ‘Rear Window’ this fall

    • Macau

      JW Marriott Hotel offers romantic Valentine’s dining experiences

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d