MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Three residents return from cruise ship to face second quarantine in Macau

Three residents return from cruise ship to face second quarantine in Macau

By Anthony Lam, MDT
February 24, 2020
1
0
Share:

Three of the five Macau passengers onboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which is stranded in Yokohama, have returned to Macau and are now under monitored quarantine at a Health Bureau facility in Coloane.
Two of them were repatriated on the second charter flight arranged by the Hong Kong government, which arrived in Hong Kong on Saturday morning. This was made possible through an agreement made between the Special Administrative Regions, enabling Macau residents on the ship to be evacuated as well.
The two evacuated on the Hong Kong charter flight were taken straight from the airport in Hong Kong back to Macau via the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge. Medical staff conducted checks on them and found no respiratory symptoms. The third Macau resident took a commercial flight to Hong Kong before returning to Macau.
The remaining two Macau residents onboard the cruise ship were also repatriated, the Macao Government Tourism Office confirmed. It was believed they are residents of both Hong Kong and Macau, and have decided to stay in Hong Kong, sources indicated earlier.
So far, the Hong Kong government has chartered three flights to evacuate passengers from Hong Kong, with the third arriving yesterday morning.
The plane arrived at around 6 a.m. on Sunday with five passengers from Hong Kong onboard, an official from the Hong Kong government’s Security Bureau said yesterday.
According to the latest figures, over 100 Hong Kong residents on the ship are still in Japan, including 68 who tested positive for Covid-19, 32 close contacts and dozens of non-close contacts.
Those who tested positive are being treated at a hospital in Japan. Close contacts will be brought back later if they test negative and are fit to travel by plane, said the Hong Kong Secretary for Food and Health, Sophia Chan.
A total of 208 Hong Kong residents who were on the ship have returned on chartered flights or other flights. All of them have been sent to a quarantine center in the New Territories for 14 days.
Among them was a nine-year-old child who developed mild fever on Friday was sent to hospital and tested negative for the virus. A 68-year-old man was sent to hospital on Saturday after developing a fever, according to Chan.
Before the evacuation operation by the Hong Kong government, there were 364 Hong Kong residents on board the quarantined ship altogether.
The Diamond Princess, initially carrying around 2,600 passengers and 1,100 crew members from more than 50 countries and regions, has been quarantined in Yokohama Port south of Tokyo since February 5 after a Covid-19 outbreak occurred on the ship.
A passenger who got off the Diamond Princess after completing the cruise ship’s quarantine this past week tested positive for the new virus Saturday, becoming the first known case of infection among those released at the end of the ship’s containment period, Japanese officials said.
Despite strong doubts raised from inside and outside the country, Japanese health ministry officials have insisted that any passengers who completed the 14-day quarantine, tested negative for the virus and showed no symptoms had nearly zero risk of becoming a virus patient.
Some experts and former passengers have criticized the quarantine, saying anti-infection measures were inadequate. The U.S., Australia and other governments that evacuated their citizens from the ship are requiring them an additional two-week quarantine.
Japan’s health minister, Katsunobu Kato, said on Saturday that 23 passengers had been released from the Diamond Princess at the end of the quarantine without being tested for the virus due to procedural mistakes, another sign of sloppiness in the quarantine of the ship.
He said the 23 were tested before the quarantine began Feb. 5, but were allowed to leave the ship on Wednesday and Thursday without being tested again. Three of them have since tested negative, and most of the others have agreed to be tested, he said.
Kato said officials have tracked all 23 passengers down and asked them to self-quarantine at home for 14 days.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

No schedule to reopen schools, says ...

Next Article

Legislative Assembly to remain closed at least ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesWorld

      Migrants | Libyan smuggling route grows one year after mass drownings

      April 18, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Angola may close consulate in Macau

      January 23, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      People chooses president in runoff amid political feud

      April 20, 2022
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Lawrence Ho: W Hotel at Studio City to expand Macau’s clientele

      September 11, 2023
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      CityU dormitory building to undergo major transformation

      March 12, 2021
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Borders busy as non-resident workers crowd for Covid-19 tests

      May 12, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Egypt | Court ruling may free Mubarak from custody

    • China

      Sino investment in US drops 83% amid growing mistrust

    • Asia-Pacific

      Air force chopper carrying five crashes while en route to help in typhoon response

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d