MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›World Press Photo | HKBU cancels exhibition, cites Covid-19 safety concerns

World Press Photo | HKBU cancels exhibition, cites Covid-19 safety concerns

By Renato Marques, MDT
March 1, 2021
0
0
Share:

The Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has called off their hosting of the World Press Photo 2020 (WPP2020) exhibition. The exhibition was canceled on Friday afternoon, just three days before the event’s expected launch date (March 1), the organizing committee informed via their official Facebook page.
“We are sorry to inform you that our venue partner, Hong Kong Baptist University, canceled the World Press Photo Exhibition 2020, just three days before it would [have] open[ed],” the organizers wrote, adding, “For over a year, our team in Hong Kong worked towards realizing this showcase of some of the world’s best visual journalism, as a testament to the importance of visual storytelling and press freedom.
“We regret it for Hong Kong and for everyone who helped to bring this project to life,” the organizers concluded.
As the Times previously reported, the exhibition should have been open from today until March 21, and was set to be hosted by The Institute for Journalism and Society at HKBU.
Later that same day, HKBU issued a statement noting that the event’s cancelation was due to Covid-19 prevention measures and concerns regarding campus safety.
“After giving due consideration to campus safety and security, and the need to maintain pandemic control, the Hong Kong Baptist University considers that it is not an appropriate time to hold the ‘World Press Photo Exhibition 2020’ on its campus,” the statement says.
A justification which, according to media sources in Hong Kong, was not well received by the organizers. According to the Hong Kong Free Press (HKFP) media outlet, event organizers expressed displeasure at HKBU’s decision, which they believed was due to “political pressure.”
In an email response to HKFP, organizers are quoted as saying: “The university held a top-level emergency meeting on February 25 and decided it is neither the [correct] political nor pandemic climate for the event after all. They said the security and protection of their students would be at risk if the exhibition – which had been planned for months and was hours away from being installed – would go ahead.”
The WPP2020 has been under fire, namely in Chinese territory, since it was launched. The exhibition includes an award-winning work from photojournalist Nicolas Asfouri. Asfouri is a Danish national who was born in Beirut, Lebanon and has worked for Agence France-Presse for 19 years.
The work, which portrays the social unrest and anti-government protests in Hong Kong, was considered controversial by many people.
The last-minute cancelation of the exhibition in the neighboring region comes amid growing concerns over censorship in its region, as authorities continue to pursue the punishment of those involved in the protests and crackdown on political dissent using the national security law – one of the motivators of the protests.
Hong Kong was the second location within Chinese territory where the WPP2020 exhibition was to be held. The exhibition also faced difficulties in its first location, Macau, when it was suddenly ended without any notice or justification in October last year, after being held at the Casa Garden venue for just one week.
As the Times reported, the closure of the exhibition in Macau occurred 18 days earlier than expected, with local organizers Casa de Portugal em Macau only saying that the closure was occurring because of “management reasons.”
According to Hong Kong media sources, using the Covid-19 pandemic as justification to close the exhibition is not convincing. Despite the pandemic, the university has held several public events, including a fashion show last Friday, the same day that the decision to close the WPP2020 was announced.
In a previous communication to the Times in late January this year, when it was announced that the exhibition was to be held at HKBU, senior lecturer and director of International Journalism at the Journalism Department of HKBU, Robin Ewing, confirmed that the exhibition would not undergo any changes and would feature all the winning photojournalism works.
“The Institute for Journalism and Society, part of the Journalism Department at Hong Kong Baptist University, is hosting the World Press Photo Exhibition 2020 in March. We have made no adjustments to the exhibition, and it will include all of the winning photos, as well as the winning photo interactive [display],” Ewing replied, adding, “We are aware of the early closure of the exhibit in Macau, but we trust that Hong Kong’s law guaranteeing freedom of the press will continue to be respected.”

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

IAS to add 200 more early intervention ...

Next Article

Jun Liu appointed new rector ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      CE reveals NPC outcome

      April 11, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      IFT launches contemporary art exhibition

      August 12, 2019
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Emotional tribute to journalist killed in Libya wins Sony Photography Awards

      April 18, 2023
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      MGTO roadshow to kick off in Bangkok

      June 5, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • Macau

      Three local restaurants lose Michelin stars in 2022

      January 20, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      Foreign worker loses RMB50,000 in online loan scam

      March 11, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Breaking NewsWorld

      The lion, the wig and the warrior. Who is Javier Milei, Argentina’s president-elect?

    • Macau

      Macau New Neighborhood starts sales in September

    • HeadlinesSports

      Hand-in-hand, Koreas grab spotlight at Asian Games opener

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d