MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Chui: Spending cuts not to affect citizens’ welfare

Chui: Spending cuts not to affect citizens’ welfare

By -
September 3, 2015
2
0
Share:

1_A0402092015

Before departing to attend the celebrations signaling the 70th anniversary of Japan’s defeat in World War II in Beijing, the Chief Executive reiterated that measures protecting citizens’ welfare will remain intact under the austerity measures announced earlier this week.
Chui Sai On indicated that the budgetary restraints will affect internal spending within public departments.
“Such measures will not affect investment in infrastructure, projects regarding locals’ livelihoods, or social welfare. Everyone please rest assured,” he said.
The CE continued by saying that officials were confronting the issue of public departments’ internal austerity, with provisions that will remain in place even if gaming earnings return to above the “red light” level this month.
To Chui, there were more factors to take into account when deciding on the wage increase. The CE said that workers’ purchasing power, inflation, financial conditions, the economic climate and the private sector’s adjustment rate could be of reference to the policymakers, as well as saying that the authorities were awaiting a report from the consultative commission.
The drawn-out economic slowdown in the territory has caused much trepidation about the fate of the Wealth Partaking Scheme next year. The CE told journalists at the airport that he was unable to make a commitment regarding the policy’s future at present.
“I am still optimistic that there’ll be sufficient surplus for cash-handouts,” he said, but conceded that such a remark merely reflected “his personal view.”
On the sidelines of a function yesterday morning, the Secretary for Administration and Justice, Sonia Chan, also mentioned the upcoming budget cuts. She said that public departments under her control would have to tighten their belts and adhere to the austerity measures.
The secretary pointed out that all of the officials in her office have always been “financially cautious” and would cut down on “unnecessary expenditure” such as outbound trips and souvenirs.
“In our field, we definitely conduct implementation according to the government’s policy,” Chan remarked. Nonetheless, when asked if the slash signals a reduction in the grant allocation budgets within agencies under her supervision, Chan said that the authorities’ spending depends on how much money flows into the government’s coffers.
When asked whether the administration’s move could result in a change to the salary adjustment for civil servants next year, Chan said that the authorities were currently considering two blueprints handed over by the Civil Servants’ Salary Assessment Commission earlier, but that they were moving forward on the assumption of financial standing within the government. The evaluators will publish the outcome of their deliberations in the future. Staff reporter

kou peng kuan urges budget restraint

The Public Administration and Civil Service Bureau director, Kou Peng Kuan, was sworn in as the bureau’s head yesterday morning. The newly appointed director commented that public departments need to offer “reasonable rationales” for their requests to expand their workforces. However, such demands’ final approvals are always subject to the government’s budget. He revealed that almost every public division has sought to expand their personnel.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Tree burial service launched

Next Article

FEATURE | Blue card holders’ spouses can’t ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Wynn expands offerings with new food hall

      February 18, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t proposes draft revision of laws published before 1993

      February 5, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      SARs may give voting rights to residents living in mainland

      June 8, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      Public housing crisis easing as new homes become available, gov’t data shows

      March 19, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Rodrigo’s exhibition explores a different approach to humour

      March 15, 2018
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      AirAsia to launch Macau–Cebu route in November

      September 4, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Forum

      Portugal | Three Chinese groups interested in buying Novo Banco

    • Macau

      FRANCHISE EXPO | Industry experts believe Macau needs global vision and services

    • World

      Thailand | Pro-democracy activists march against government

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d