MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 1969: Deadly bomb blasts in Italy

This Day in History | 1969: Deadly bomb blasts in Italy

By -
December 12, 2016
1
0
Share:

At least 13 people have been killed and more than 100 injured after a bomb exploded at a bank in Milan, Italy.

Up to 14 people were also injured in simultaneous blasts at a bank and memorial in the capital, Rome.

Another bomb was later discovered by police near Milan’s La Scala opera house. The first explosion happened at about 16.45 local time on the third floor of Milan’s Banca dell’ Agricoltura (National Agricultural Bank), in Piazza Fontana.

Michelle Carlotto, 27, a clerk at the bank, said: “I was sitting at my desk behind the bank counter. I heard a blast, a bolt which stunned me.

“In the smoke I saw a body fly from the public section above the counter and fall one yard away from me. I was shocked, I couldn’t move.”

Many of the wounded were taken to hospital where they remain in a serious condition. Police said eight kilograms (18lbs) of explosives had been placed in an aluminum box and a slow burning fuse was attached to the device.

Within an hour of the blast, at least another 14 people were injured by three further explosions which shook two areas of Rome.

Another bomb was discovered by police a few hours later inside a separate bank in Milan, near the La Scala opera house.

Officers immediately detonated the device in the courtyard of the Banca Commerciale Italiana.

Police in Rome have detained four men so far but no organisation has yet claimed responsibility for the attacks.

The explosions come at a time of deep social unrest and political uncertainty in Italy.

Italian President Giuseppe Saragat condemned the attacks and pledged to “restore the law willed by the people and its sovereignty.”

The Prime Minister, Mariano Rumor, called an emergency cabinet meeting and in a news conference he said the explosions were “an act of barbarism which has no precedent in the history of the country.”

He later sent a telegram to the Mayor of Milan, Aldo Aniasi, which ordered the Minister of the Interior to “act with the maximum severity against those who want to poison the peace of the Italian people.”

                Courtesy BBC News

In context

In total, 16 people were killed and 58 wounded in what became known as the Piazza Fontana massacre.

Over 4,000 arrests were made in the aftermath of the bombings and one of the suspects, Guiseppe Pinelli, died after falling out of the fourth floor window of the police station where he was being held.

The bombing marked the start of a series of attacks known as “the strategy of tension” between 1969 and 1974 by the right wing group, Ordine Nuovo.

Their aim was to prevent the country falling into the hands of the left -wing by duping the public into believing the bombings were part of a communist insurgency.

The attacks appeared to come to an end in 1974 but the worst strike was to come in 1980, when a suitcase with over 18kg (40lbs) of explosives went off in a train station, in Bologna, killing 85 and wounding more than 200 people.

One of the original suspects, Pietro Valpreda, was eventually tried alongside two neo-Fascists and numerous other secret service agents in 1974, but all the accused were acquitted in 1985 following numerous trials and appeals.

A new trial opened in 1999 after a Milan judge, Guido Salvini, claimed to have discovered the real bombers.

Three neo-fascists, Delfo Zorzi, Carlo Maria Maggi, and Carlo Rognoni were sentenced to life imprisonment but the decision was overturned on appeal in March 2004. 

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Olympics | Tokyo breaks ground on new ...

Next Article

Offbeat | The world’s oldest known seabird ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Life & Style | If we only had them… Garden Conservancy lets you peek at some private gardens

      July 2, 2019
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Theft of mammoth proportions: Agency seeks stolen tusk

      June 21, 2018
      By -
    • World

      9/11 | Pentagon chief says al-Qaida may seek comeback in Afghanistan

      September 10, 2021
      By -
    • World

      World briefs

      March 1, 2018
      By -
    • BuzzWorld

      Celebrating excellence in journalism and the arts, Pulitzer Prizes to be awarded today

      May 7, 2024
      By -
    • BusinessWorld

      Volvo becomes latest carmaker to scale back electric ambitions, eases goal to at least 90% by 2030

      September 5, 2024
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      GBA | Guangdong pilot reforms to boost service trade for HK, Macau entrepreneurs

    • HeadlinesMacau

      World Press Photo scales back exhibitions in China due to ‘risks involved for local organizers’

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Media | Kumbang Toh! to host events for Indonesian community

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d