MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Galaxy’s confidence in Macau not shaken by 91% revenue drop

Galaxy’s confidence in Macau not shaken by 91% revenue drop

By Lynzy Valles, MDT
August 14, 2020
1
0
Share:

Galaxy Entertainment Group’s (GEG) net revenue during the second quarter of 2020 stood at HKD1.15 billion, down 91% year-on-year and down 77% quarter-on-quarter due to the adverse impacts of Covid-19, which included a significant reduction in tourist arrivals and subsequent decline in revenue.
During the first half of the year, the group’s net revenue was down 76% year-on-year to HKD6.22 billion, while its January to June adjusted EBITDA stood at negative HKD1.09 million compared to HKD8.32 billion in the first half of 2019.
Its adjusted EBITDA for the second quarter of this year stood at negative HKD1.4 billion.
Speaking in a press conference held online yesterday, Lui Che Woo, chairman of GEG, announced that its balance sheet remains strong with HKD49.8 billion in cash and liquid investments and HKD43.6 billion of net cash.
“During this period of very low revenue our focus has shifted from revenue generation to effective cost control. However, it is important to not cut costs excessively and therefore adversely impact our ability to deliver upon customer service standards when business returns,” said the chairman.
The deputy chairman of GEG, Francis Lui, explained that the gaming operator has lowered its daily expenditure to HKD2.5 million a day.
“We spent about HKD3.4 million a day during the first quarter. So far in the second quarter, it has been lowered to HKD2.5 million a day. We’ve already made improvements to the tune of 10% to 20% and we hope to continue to make efforts so that […] we can better our finances,” said Lui.
Meanwhile, it is still “too early to say” for GEG to expect a positive outcome this year on the reissuance of the Individual Visit Scheme (IVS).
The government recently announced that it will expand the IVS and group travel beyond Zhuhai to Guangdong Province by August 26, and nationwide by September 23, provided the pandemic situation continues to improve.
For the gaming operator, it is premature to comment on how quickly the market may recover, despite the long-awaited ‘baby steps’ toward regaining visitors. It notes that it is still expecting to experience further headwinds from the pandemic, which will have an adverse impact on its financial performance.
Given the ongoing Covid-19 situation, the board decided yesterday not to declare a dividend. GEG paid a special dividend of HKD0.45 per share on April 24.
“Our balance sheet has been very sound. […] We took the prudent step to conserve cash during this crisis […] As we gradually continue the recovery we will consider it as we go forward. We have a strong balance sheet and we continue to invest in our Cotai development projects,” said GEG’s Chief Financial Officer, Robert Drake, who was also present at the online press conference.
The construction process for GEG’s expansion is on schedule, according to Lui, who noted that developments for these projects will follow the timetable no matter how the pandemic situation changes.
“We will continue to work with the government and proceed with the project,” said Lui.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Fitch affirms MGM Resorts rating on account ...

Next Article

National and SAR officials in Beijing applaud ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Macau braces for cold wave this week

      January 20, 2026
      By -
    • Macau

      Agreement to advance Chinese medicine industry inked

      January 19, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Macau and Zhuhai strengthen construction ties at safety exchange event

      January 22, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      Gov’t plans to extend tourism tax exemption

      March 14, 2022
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Crime | Complicated marriage scam swindles Macau IDs for the family

      January 21, 2020
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      Restaurant smart upgrade plan expands in 2026

      December 18, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      DSAMA closes beaches due to E. coli bacteria outbreak

    • Business

      BMW executives said to join Tencent-backed electric-car maker

    • Sports

      Macau GP | Circuit might need changes ahead of 2019

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d