MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Hong Kong urged to boost stimulus using fiscal war chest

Hong Kong urged to boost stimulus using fiscal war chest

By -
September 21, 2020
0
0
Share:

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam

Hong Kong’s government is drawing fresh criticism from economists and business advocates who say a third round of virus relief stimulus doesn’t go far enough.
While Chief Executive Carrie Lam’s latest spending plan will draw from the city’s fiscal reserve of HKD976.6 billion ($126 billion) in July, that cash pile is still seen by economists as large enough to support still more stimulus.
The urgency for more fiscal support was underscored last week by data showing Hong Kong’s unemployment rate sitting at 6.1% in August, with joblessness continuing to rise in the hard-hit consumption and tourism sectors. Underemployment also increased, to 3.8% from 3.5% in the earlier period. Yet the latest signals from Lam’s administration, including the comparatively small round of virus relief announced this week, suggest a reluctance to further deplete Hong Kong’s war chest.
“Stimulus has been smaller than expected so far,” said Alicia Garcia Herrero, chief economist for Asia Pacific with Natixis SA. “More – and more clever stimulus – is needed.”
Hong Kong faces a particularly difficult road to recovery after a year of political unrest and more than seven months of coping with the coronavirus outbreak. It’s posted quarterly economic contractions of as deep as 9% so far this year, with restrictions to combat the virus, the U.S.-China trade fight and political tensions all weighing on its status as a global financial hub.
The HKD24 billion package Lam just announced, a fraction of the previous rounds, underscores the tricky balancing act governments are attempting as the pandemic drags on, as they try to provide badly needed relief for residents and businesses while trying not to significantly worsen public finances.
“The size of the latest package is relatively small, and only less than half of it goes to supporting employment and businesses,” said Tommy Wu, senior economist with Oxford Economics in Hong Kong. “As many households and businesses are still under immense pressure, it is not the time for the government to worry about drawing down the fiscal reserves to support the economy.”
The latest stimulus pushes relief spending to more than HKD310 billion this year. Lam in August described Hong Kong’s public finances as “in a severe situation,” adding she would be offering few measures in her Oct. 14 policy address that would draw on public coffers.
The Hong Kong economy, which contracted 1.2% last year, is expected to shrink by a record 6.9% this year, according to an economists’ survey by Bloomberg conducted in the first week of September.
“This round of stimulus is much narrower than the last round. It’s completely insufficient to cover our pains,” said Yiu Si-wing, a Hong Kong lawmaker representing the tourism industry, which has been decimated by the virus.
The government can dip into the debt market to mitigate its budget deficit, as it did in the most recent fiscal year when it generated a net HKD7.8 billion by issuing green bonds. That helped lower the deficit to HKD10.6 billion, according to March 31 financial results.
While government revenue is also down so far this fiscal year, to about HKD106 billion from HKD135 billion a year ago, the government’s assertion that Hong Kong will retain its competitive advantages as a financial hub suggests that weakness is temporary, Garcia Herrero said.
“This means that additional stimulus should be pursued to smoothen the cycle,” she said. “Carrie Lam should stick to her beliefs of a strong Hong Kong and thus conduct a major stimulus. She should have more than enough room.”
Aries Wong, a lecturer at Hong Kong Baptist University’s School of Business, said the government’s ability to spark a recovery through stimulus is limited and the measures are more to keep the economy afloat.
“Hong Kong is a small open economy, so don’t expect any fiscal stimulus to have a great effect on our economy,” he said. “We do not know how many rounds of relief measures we still need and we have not put aside anything for the aging population.”
The fiscal reserve is also key to supporting Hong Kong’s credit rating, Wong said. Both Moody’s Investors Service and Fitch Ratings have slashed the city’s rating this year amid the pandemic and unrest. Hong Kong officials have faced criticism for their handling of the stimulus so far, amid long waits for checks and the fact that some wealthy residents also qualified for the money.
Meanwhile, the government’s signature stimulus program, a HKD10,000 handout to residents announced in the February budget, has been criticized for delays – as the checks first went out in July.
“We understand the financial hardship that many people are going through” yet resources are finite, Financial Secretary Paul Chan said Tuesday when asked whether there would be further cash handouts for residents. “A more targeted approach is more appropriate in the current circumstances.”
Chan forecasts the reserve will drop to about HKD800 billion by the end of the fiscal year, with the budget deficit ballooning to a record of more than HKD300 billion. MDT/Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

China flies 18 warplanes near Taiwan during ...

Next Article

Chinese F4 championship Zhuhai rounds start before ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      FEATURE | Blue card holders’ spouses can’t work | ‘There’s a waste of existing human resources in Macau’

      September 3, 2015
      By Catarina Pinto
    • Macau

      PJ aims to promote awareness of national security among young learners

      April 28, 2025
      By Yuki Lei, MDT
    • Macau

      New Era bus crashes in Coloane

      March 1, 2016
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Workers’ rights and economic growth were top concerns for FAOM lawmakers over the past four years

      August 18, 2025
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      ‘Judicial independence is important for both Portugal and Macau’

      April 19, 2016
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Media mogul Jimmy Lai convicted in landmark national security trial

      December 16, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Macau’s broad money supply rebounds in June

    • World

      World Briefs

    • Asia-Pacific

      AUSTRALIA | Terror suspect had passport canceled 

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d