MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Labour Affairs Bureau estimates there are 4,800 vacancies for residents

Labour Affairs Bureau estimates there are 4,800 vacancies for residents

By Anthony Lam, MDT
August 31, 2020
1
0
Share:

A scene from yesterday’s job fair organized by the DSAL

The Labour Affairs Bureau (DSAL) estimates there are about 4,800 vacancies in the Macau market that local residents would be prepared to take.
The estimate comes to reassure the public after the bureau admitted nearly 3,500 people have recently registered as having been “involuntarily dismissed” by their employers.
To further shore up employment opportunities for local workers, the bureau disclosed that it has deducted 13,000 places from existing non-resident worker quotas to emphasize the supplementary nature of the non-resident workforce and encourage employers to consider the local workforce.
When reviewing extensions of non-resident working permit applications, the bureau added that it would also check whether local workers are willing to fill the position first.
The DSAL expressly mentioned that if the position is favored or preferred by local workers, the bureau will not renew the non-resident working permit. It will also conduct stricter inspections and cross-reference with its database to ensure that local workers are being prioritized.
Although the DSAL said the measure was in already place, many jobseekers are still struggling to get hired, according to a report by local newspaper Macao Daily News. One jobseeker has not been hired since being laid off early this year. She wants to continue her career path in the sales industry. She expects a salary of between MOP13,000 and MOP14,000 per month, similar to her previous job.
At the press conference held for the Macau Youth Career Expo 2020 last week, the organizers revealed that the average starting salary offered by the participating employers was MOP14,600 per month. This jobseeker would have been looking at the minimum salary, even with experience in the field.
Nonetheless, the authority is still finding that jobseekers are aiming for salaries that are too high. The authority said it recommends jobseekers to adjust their expectations in order to find a job.
A human resources agency told the Chinese newspaper that with the economic downturn, jobseekers are becoming more concerned with getting a job than having a minimum salary expectation.
Monthly salaries have dropped by between MOP2,000 and MOP3,000 on average since the start of the year.
Furthermore, the bureau also said that more than 1,500 people have finished subsidized training. The bureau has referred 910 people to job matching services, 567 of which were hired by an employer.
Subsidized training is a scheme that was initiated by the government in response to the unemployment and underemployment situation caused by Covid-19. Two rounds of subsidized training have taken place so far, with a third round set to take applications from next month.
Local enterprises have also joined with the DSAL to operate an internship program. Through the program, 1,500 people were accepted by the participating enterprises as interns. At the conclusion, only five were hired by the enterprises they interned for.

30 hired at youth job fair

During the first day of the Macau Youth Career Expo 2020, some 30 out of 1,990 jobseekers were hired and 122 jobseekers were interviewed on-site, the Labour Affairs Bureau (DSAL) disclosed. The two-day job fair concluded yesterday. It was held at the campus of the Macau University of Science and Technology, where participants were required to register in time slots to prevent a large congregation of people. According to the DSAL, over 3,000 vacancies were said to be advertised at the fair.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Gaming | Association calls on Macau gov’t ...

Next Article

Gaming show canceled this year

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Health Ongoing campaign against dengue, Zika virus

      April 7, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Tropical depression forms east of Philippines, Signal No. 1 possible

      September 17, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      Applications for stalls in Lai Chi Vun Shipyards open

      October 13, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Travel agent receipts shrink 76%

      September 24, 2021
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      50% fewer Black-faced spoonbills in Macau

      April 25, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      Man caught smuggling 68 phones across border

      October 22, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      This Day in History | 1986 Soviets admit nuclear accident

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Survey: Students unlikely to seek help when experiencing stress

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Apple, Google at internet fest shows lure of market

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d