MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Pilot domestic helper program aims at testing automated system
Covid-19

Pilot domestic helper program aims at testing automated system

By Anthony Lam, MDT
April 22, 2022
1
0
Share:

The pilot program to allow the entry of Philippine domestic workers merely tests Macau’s capability amid the current pandemic, public health doctor Leong Iek Hou of the Macau government said yesterday.

The medical practitioner, who is also division head for prevention and control of infectious diseases at the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), made the remark at the weekly health press briefing yesterday afternoon.

She was questioned about the existence of a meltdown mechanism to automatically suspend the pilot program.

The pilot program was announced last week to facilitate local residents’ applications for domestic workers from outside of Greater China. The first partner location is the Philippines.

In response to the question, Leong said that the program aims at testing the automated application platform, which could likely shortlist eligible applications without human support or intervention.

It will additionally be used to test whether allowing non-resident entrants would pose intensified risks to the city, such as a soaring number of cases of Covid-19 . The pilot program will also gauge whether a meltdown mechanism would be required in the program itself.

Leong said that many parties are involved in the pilot program – equating to a large amount of correspondence – so more time is required to finalize information and details.

She added that the document stating the information related to filing an application was uploaded to the government’s Covid-19 website as the press conference was in progress.

She insisted that, for the time being, the government was still aiming for April 25, the coming Monday, as the launch date for the pilot program’s application process.

Details seemed not to be fully finalized as of yesterday. The panel of officials was asked whether there would be a specific quarantine hotel for entrants through this pilot program, to which Lau Fong Chi, department head for communications and external relations of the Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO), which is responsible for negotiations with hotels, said that discussions would be made with partner government entities and hotels to identify which hotels would be appropriate.

The panel of officials was later challenged by a journalist who, citing the application document, said that the government requires all entrants through the pilot program to stay in “(a) designated hotel(s)”.

The journalist questioned the tourism official as to whether the Treasure Hotel is the designated hotel, as it is now hosting returnees from outside Greater China.

Leong clarified that the term “(a) designated hotel(s)” is used to refer to any hotel properties permitted by the Health Bureau (SSM) to be used to host entrants through the pilot program, suggesting that it does not refer to any single hotel.

According to the government’s announcement last week, the applicants for Philippine domestic workers will be expected to bear the cost for the quarantine hotel stay and, if they test positive for SARS-CoV-2, medical services.

The government has not yet made up its mind on how long the Philippine entrants will be required to stay in quarantine, as Lau said the costs for quarantine hotel will depend on how long the SSM will require them to stay.

Vaccination needed for 

DSEDJ summer activities

Luís Gomes, acting department head for non-tertiary education at the Education and Youth Development Bureau (DSEDJ), announced to the press briefing that, from July this year, all participants in the government Summer Activities program and workshops held at DSEDJ’s activity centers will have to be fully vaccinated, be that two or three doses.

If participants are not fully vaccinated, they must present a SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid test result valid for within the previous seven days.

The requirement extends to accompanying individuals, such as parents.

Many younger children are escorted to these activities by their retired grandparents, who mostly come from the age groups with which the government is not satisfied in terms of vaccination rates.

Echoing the suggestion of Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture, Elsie Ao Ieong U, on mandatory vaccination for student sporting competitions, Gomes announced yesterday that the requirement would apply to applications for such competitions. Further information will be released in September.

Gomes hinted that the requirement would not likely cause trouble, as most students are now jabbed with at least one dose of the vaccine.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Hong Kong Disney opens as Covid eases; ...

Next Article

Future Bright Group closed 12 F&B establishments ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Patriotism and central gov’t core values are to be defended

      June 20, 2023
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Report | Chimelong animal care concerns

      February 18, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      ID unveils new scheme to allow higher turnover of Lin Fong swimming classes

      September 15, 2023
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Italy signs accord deepening economic ties with Beijing

      March 25, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Gold for gold: China team to visit Macau after Hong Kong

      August 25, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Ho Iat Seng to attend NPC under special safety measures

      May 20, 2020
      By -

    • Macau

      Gaming | Nevada: Wynn Resorts fined USD20m over sex allegations

    • China

      US: Jets conduct unsafe intercept of Navy aircraft

    • Asia-Pacific

      Vietnam | Popular blogger freed on condition she leave for US

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d