MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 1997 – Princess Diana dies in Paris crash

This Day in History | 1997 – Princess Diana dies in Paris crash

By -
August 31, 2016
1
0
Share:

522157634Diana, Princess of Wales, has died after a car crash in Paris.
She was taken to hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning where surgeons tried for two hours to save her life but she died at 0300 BST.
In a statement Buckingham Palace said the Queen and the Prince of Wales were “deeply shocked and distressed”.
Prince Charles broke the news of their mother’s death to Princes William and Harry at Balmoral Castle in Scotland where the royal family had been spending the summer.
The accident happened after the princess left the Ritz Hotel in the French capital with her companion, Dodi Al Fayed – son of Harrods owner, Mohammed Al Fayed.
Dodi Al Fayed and the vehicle’s driver were also killed in the collision in a tunnel under the Place de l’Alma in the centre of the city.
The princess’ Mercedes car was apparently being pursued at high speed by photographers on motorbikes when it hit a pillar and smashed into a wall.
Mr Al Fayed and the chauffeur died at the scene but the princess and her bodyguard were cut from the wreckage and rushed to hospital.
The French authorities have begun a criminal investigation and are questioning seven photographers.
Tributes to the princess have been pouring in from around the world.
Speaking from his home in South Africa, the princess’ brother, Lord Charles Spencer, said his sister had been “unique”.
While it was not the time for recriminations there was no doubt the press had played a part in her death, the earl added.
Hundreds of mourners have gathered at the princess’ London home, Kensington Palace and many have laid flowers at the gates.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

Only Princess Diana’s bodyguard, Trevor Rees-Jones, survived the crash.
Blood tests showed the driver, Henri Paul, had taken both drugs and a large amount of alcohol before the accident.
The royal family was criticised for its reserve during a time when there was an unprecedented national outpouring of grief.
Around one million people lined the streets to see the princess’ funeral cortege as it made its way to Westminster Abbey in early September.
No charges were brought against the paparazzi who had been pursuing the princess’ car.
But the behaviour of the press came under close scrutiny and the code governing the British media was tightened in December 1997.
An inquest into the princess’s death was opened in the UK in 2004. It has been adjourned while the Metropolitan police, led by Lord Stevens, carry out an investigation into the crash. Retired judge Lady Elizabeth Butler-Sloss will conduct preliminary hearings into the inquests in early 2007.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Offbeat | USD210 lobster bought from fish ...

Next Article

European ships rescue thousands of migrants off ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Once in million years: Comet buzzing Mars on Sun

      October 20, 2014
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Coal official who hid USD30m admits to corruption

      December 30, 2015
      By -
    • World

      Maggie’s legacy: Divisive Thatcher looms over UK Tory race

      August 1, 2022
      By -
    • World

      World briefs

      April 23, 2018
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Norway’s highest court: child-like sex dolls violate the law

      September 12, 2019
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Ohio State University seeks to trademark the word ‘The’

      August 16, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      Mainland holds Nanjing Massacre memorial

    • World

      Offbeat | Fires force evacuation of 12,000 in 3 French Riviera towns

    • World

      Offbeat | Moose stomps man’s foot in Alaska after he kicks her

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d