MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Gov’t watching internet platforms for non-compliance with ban on ‘Glory’ song
Hong Kong

Gov’t watching internet platforms for non-compliance with ban on ‘Glory’ song

By -
May 22, 2024
0
0
Share:

Hong Kong’s leader said yesterday his administration would keep monitoring for any non-compliance with a court order that bans a popular protest song, days after YouTube blocked access to dozens of videos of the tune in the city.

The ban targets anyone who broadcasts or distributes “Glory to Hong Kong” — popularly sung during huge anti-government protests in 2019 — to advocate for the separation of the city from China. It also prohibits any actions that misrepresent the song as the national anthem with the intent to insult the anthem.

In his weekly news briefing, Chief Executive John Lee said if the government found any instances of non-compliance, it would then notify the relevant internet platforms about the content of the injunction.

“I believe that operators in general operate within the law, so we will continue to monitor the situation,” Lee said.

The court ban sought by the government has raised concerns over a further decline in the city’s freedom of expression and internet freedom. Critics have also warned it might disrupt the operation of tech giants and undermine the city’s appeal as a global financial hub.

Last week, YouTube blocked access to 32 videos of the song that were deemed to be “prohibited publications” under the injunction for viewers in the city. The tech company said it was disappointed by the court’s decision and would continue to consider its options for an appeal.

In the news briefing, Lee said there is no link relating to the song shown on any local platforms and “Google’s search doesn’t show any link to the song in question.” A government transcript of his comments later clarified Lee was referring to links specified in the injunction order.

The Associated Press found videos of the song on YouTube yesterday morning. The song is also available on Spotify and Apple Music.

It is unclear whether the tech giants will block access to more video or audio clips of the song for Hong Kong viewers. Google, Spotify and Apple did not immediately comment.

“Glory to Hong Kong” is widely seen as the protest anthem of the 2019 movement, which was followed by a crackdown that has silenced dissenting voices in the city.

Instances where the song was mistakenly played as the city’s anthem at international sporting events, instead of China’s national anthem “March of the Volunteers,” also have angered city officials.

The government went to the court last year after Google resisted pressure to display China’s national anthem as the top result in searches for the city’s anthem instead of the protest song. KANIS LEUNG, HONG KONG, MDT/AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsHong Kong
Previous Article

What’s next for Iran’s government after death ...

Next Article

Sands China jointly building City of Performing ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Fans of Bruce Lee fondly remember his life philosophy 50 years after his death

      July 21, 2023
      By -
    • BuzzChina

      French daredevil who climbed towers around world believed to have fallen to his death in Hong Kong

      August 1, 2023
      By -
    • China

      Father of a US-based activist is sentenced to eight months under national security law 

      March 2, 2026
      By -
    • China

      Police offer rewards for tips leading to the arrest of 19 overseas activists

      July 28, 2025
      By -
    • BuzzChina

      Son of jailed media mogul Jimmy Lai lobbies UK foreign secretary for his release

      December 14, 2023
      By -
    • China

      First people are sentenced under new security law

      September 20, 2024
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      USA | President gives GOP leaders rallying cry, roadmap for change

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Taobao shops will set up firm, process business visa, no questions asked

    • World

      ANALYSIS | Stricter Ebola protection for health workers advised by US

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d