MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›PSP: Officers caught smoking not breaching the rules, scrutiny on UM party

PSP: Officers caught smoking not breaching the rules, scrutiny on UM party

By Renato Marques, MDT
July 18, 2022
0
0
Share:

The Public Security Police Force (PSP) has stated that a group of eight police officers caught on amateur footage smoking together are not breaking any laws or rules. Accordingly, they will not be punished.

During yesterday’s press briefing from the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Center, the representative of the force, Ma Chio Hong, reaffirmed a statement issued earlier by the PSP explaining that the footage was not captured in a public space but an area of a police station located in the ZAPE area.

According to Ma, the officers were exercising their right to smoke in an open-air area that had been demarcated at the station for many years for such a purpose. Accordingly, the space is not a public space but rather a private area.

Responding to several inquiries from the media on the topic, Ma said that despite the actions portrayed in the footage not being illegal and not constituting any breach of the rules, the PSP has issued an internal warning for all staff members to avoid gathering in that area and to keep a safe distance from each other when smoking.

“We have made improvements and are now imposing a limitation on the number of people who can gather at the same time in that area,” Ma said.

In response to an inquiry about whether the actions of the police officers could increase the chances of an outbreak more than the actions that led to the prosecution of a total of 27 people, so far, for breaching the infectious diseases law, the same official said that the force does not wish the matter to be treated as a “witch hunt” or a case of “double standards between the police and the rest of the population,” noting that the officers have been “working very hard to ensure the safety of the whole population” during the Covid-19 pandemic and specifically during the outbreaks.

Ma also noted that a direct comparison with the cases of people being prosecuted for smoking in the streets cannot be made as the officers were in a private facility and not in a public area.

Of the 27 cases of people prosecuted for breaking the law, a large majority relate to people not wearing facemasks properly while smoking in public spaces.

UM party under 

investigation

In relation to a party or celebration that allegedly took place over the weekend at the University of Macau (UM), the PSP said they had received a report from UM and are in the process of investigating whether the gathering broke any local laws.

Ma said that the university has also opened an internal investigation into the case and “they will act with zero tolerance” in response to any rule-breaking.

The coordinator at the local Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Leong Iek Hou also noted that they have been informed that UM has already reported the case and has told all staff members about the need to strictly enforce the measures imposed by the government. We are waiting on the outcomes from the PSP investigation in this case.

Commenting on the case, Leong also remarked on the need to wear a mask and maintain social distancing. These protocols apply to everyone but specifically those working during this period of confinement.

 “It is and has always been a part of our principles which we have been insisting on [to prevent the transmission of Covid-19] and these principles must be applied at all times,” the health official said.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsCovid-19
Previous Article

Domestic helpers on leave since outbreak confused ...

Next Article

‘Very low’ community case numbers boost prospects ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Gov’t reports death of two Covid-19-infected patients

      July 4, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Origin of new case ‘unknown’, Zhuhai blames Macau

      August 9, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Asia-PacificBreaking NewsMacau

      Asia Today: More restrictions in Australia’s State of Victoria

      August 3, 2020
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlinesMacau

      US cruise ship in limbo as anti-virus controls spread

      March 7, 2020
      By -
    • Macau

      Asia Today: Hong Kong, hot spots shut again

      July 13, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Authorities announce three new rounds of mass testing this week

      July 4, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT

    • China

      PLA closes military newspapers as part of reform program

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Hong Kong protests back after China tightens grip on city

    • Macau

      IAS reinstates mandatory mask use at aged care homes

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d