MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Repressive gov’t criticizes exiles who attack overseas festivals as ‘asylum scum’
Eritrea

Repressive gov’t criticizes exiles who attack overseas festivals as ‘asylum scum’

By -
August 10, 2023
1
0
Share:

Police stand near the gutted remains of cars, at the Eritrean cultural festival “Eritrea Scandinavia” in Stockholm, last week

Flaming cars, violent clashes, dozens of people detained. As one of the world’s most repressive countries marks 30 years of independence, festivals held by Eritrea’s diaspora in Europe and North America have been attacked by exiles whom the regime dismisses as “asylum scum.”

People who fled the Horn of Africa nation say the violence against festivals in Germany, Sweden and Canada are protests against a repressive government that’s been described as the “North Korea of Africa.” Some allege that proceeds from festivals might support the government.

Hundreds of thousands of people have fled Eritrea over the years, many setting off into the deserts of Sudan and then North Africa in attempts to reach Europe.

President Isaias Afwerki, 77, has led Eritrea since it won independence from Ethiopia in a long guerrilla war. There have been no elections. There’s no free press. Exit visas are required. Many young people are forced into military service with no end date, human rights groups and United Nations experts say.

The violence at some Eritrean festivals shows the bitter split in the diaspora between supporters of the government and their children — often protected by foreign passports — and exiles who fear for their loved ones back home.

Eritrea’s government speaks harshly about those who flee and accuses the West of trying to weaken the country by depopulating it. On Friday, Information Minister Yemane Gebremeskel asserted that the attacks on the festivals were part of that strategy.

“Complicity in attempts to disrupt decades-old Eritrean festivals using foreign thugs reflects abject failure of asylum scum,” he said in a message posted on social media. He later criticized the “distorted portrayal” of the community’s “joyous events.”

Beyene Gerezgiher, a member of the Eritrean community in Europe who leads an organization that seeks regime change in Eritrea, told The Associated Press that a separate group called the Brigade Nhamedu was set up last year to counter what it calls the government’s hate speech and war propaganda. The word “Nhamedu” means being ready to fight and sacrifice.

“Our movement helped and participated in recent rallies against the so-called Eritrean festival,” he wrote in an email. In pursuit of regime change, the new group plans to act via “lawful democracy,” sharing information with the international community and “disturbing the situation,” he said.

He called the Eritrean information minister’s comments “usual and laughable.”

Some Eritreans and state-backed media have blamed attacks in Stockholm, Toronto and the German town of Giessen in part on ethnic Tigrayans from northern Ethiopia. That’s where Eritrean forces joined Ethiopia’s military in fighting a two-year war against Tigray forces until a peace deal was made in November. Eritrean forces were accused of some of the worst atrocities, including gang rapes.

Kassa Hailemariam, a U.S.-based advocate for many Tigrayans, told the AP “it is ridiculous to blame Tigrayans for the global Eritrean movement against the age-long dictator in Asmara,” Eritrea’s capital. “We are not part of this movement!”

In Giessen last month, German police said at least 22 officers were injured as people throwing smoke bombs and bottles tried to force their way into a festival. Dozens of people were detained.

In Stockholm this month, Swedish media reported that about 1,000 protesters stormed a festival, setting booths and cars on fire and using rocks and sticks as weapons, leaving at least 52 people injured. Police said more than 100 people were detained.

“This is not a festival. They are teaching their children hate speech,” one protester, Michael Kobrab, told Swedish broadcaster TV4.

And last weekend, authorities in Toronto canceled an Eritrean festival after clashes sent several people to the hospital.

Other festivals have been held without incident, and some Eritreans continue to share videos showing crowds dancing and waving the national flag, along with messages of defiance and peace.

Eritrea’s government openly encourages members of the diaspora to contribute funds to its activities back home. On Monday, the information ministry published a story about Eritreans in Austria being urged by diplomats to “shoulder the timely responsibility of participating and contributing to the success of the national development drives.”

But citizens living overseas must show the government evidence of paying a 2% tax on income earned abroad if they want to obtain services such as passport renewals, which has been criticized. People who flee Eritrea without exit visas and wish to return must pay the tax and sign a “regret form,” according to the U.S. State Department’s human rights report on the country.

Eritrea, with a population estimated at less than 5 million, is one of the world’s poorest countries, and one of the most secretive. The World Bank said poverty appears to be widespread but updated information is lacking. “The most recent available survey data from 1996/97 indicate a 70% poverty rate,” it said.

Rights groups say Eritrean authorities keep the country’s citizens in a state of war preparedness, despite making peace with Ethiopia in 2018. CARA ANNA, NAIROBI, MDT/AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsEritrea
Previous Article

2001 Hamiltons condemn ‘sex assault’ arrest

Next Article

Explore the Infinite Artistic Universe of Hsiao ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      The architect of rock ‘n’ roll | Jagger, Dylan react to death of Little Richard

      May 12, 2020
      By -
    • World

      Trump Tower meeting figure: Russia probe ‘not a witch hunt’

      March 29, 2019
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Chicago flight to China diverted due to ‘unruly passenger’

      November 29, 2016
      By -
    • World

      World briefs

      January 20, 2017
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Elephants, crocodiles kill 7 people at Malawi park

      October 1, 2015
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Serbian club denies releasing Chinese player over politics

      June 11, 2020
      By -

    • MacauSports

      Leong Ian Veng triumphs in Road Sport Challenge

    • Macau

      Patriotic students write letters to support Wuhan

    • This Day In History

      1964 Nelson Mandela jailed for life

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d