MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›USA | Trump has no plans to block scheduled release of JFK records

USA | Trump has no plans to block scheduled release of JFK records

By -
October 23, 2017
0
0
Share:

John F. Kennedy waves from his car in a motorcade in Dallas minutes before being shot

President Donald Trump says he doesn’t plan to block the scheduled release of thousands of never publicly seen government documents related to President John F. Kennedy’s assassination.

“Subject to the receipt of further information,” he wrote in a Saturday morning tweet, “I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened.”

The National Archives has until Thursday to disclose the remaining files related to Kennedy’s 1963 assassination. The trove is expected to include more than 3,000 documents that have never been seen by the public and more than 30,000 that have been previously released but with redactions.

Congress mandated in 1992 that all assassination documents be released within 25 years, but Trump has the power to block them on the grounds that making them public would harm intelligence or military operations, law enforcement or foreign relations.

“Thank you. This is the correct decision. Please do not allow exceptions for any agency of government,” tweeted Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics and author of a book about Kennedy, who has urged the president to release the files. “JFK files have been hidden too long.”

The anticipated release has had scholars and armchair detectives buzzing. But it’s unlikely the documents will contain any big revelations on a tragedy that has stirred conspiracy theories for decades, Judge John Tunheim told The Associated Press last month. Tunheim was chairman of the independent agency in the 1990s that made public many assassination records and decided how long others could remain secret.

Sabato and other JFK scholars believe the trove of files may, however, provide insight into assassin Lee Harvey Oswald’s trip to Mexico City weeks before the killing, during which he visited the Soviet and Cuban embassies. Oswald’s stated reason for going was to get visas that would allow him to enter Cuba and the Soviet Union, according to the Warren Commission, the investigative body established by President Lyndon B. Johnson, but much about the trip remains unknown.

Longtime Trump friend Roger Stone, who wrote a book alleging that Johnson was the driving force behind Kennedy’s assassination, had personally urged the president to make the files public, he told far-right conspiracy theorist and radio show host Alex Jones this past week.

“Yesterday, I had the opportunity to make the case directly to the president of the United States by phone as to why I believe it is essential that he release the balance of the currently redacted and classified JFK assassination documents,” Stone said, adding that “a very good White House source,” but not the president, had told him the Central Intelligence Agency, “specifically CIA director Mike Pompeo, has been lobbying the president furiously not to release these documents.”

“Why? Because I believe they show that Oswald was trained, nurtured and put in place by the Central Intelligence Agency. It sheds very bad light on the deep state,” he said.

After the president announced his decision, Stone tweeted: “Yes ! victory !”

The files that were withheld in full were those the Assassination Records Review Board deemed “not believed relevant,” Tunheim said. Its members sought to ensure they weren’t hiding any information directly related to Kennedy’s assassination, but there may be nuggets of information in the files that they didn’t realize were important two decades ago, he said.

“There could be some jewels in there because in our level of knowledge in the 1990s is maybe different from today,” Tunheim said.

The National Archives in July published online more than 440 never-before-seen assassination documents and thousands of others that had been released previously with redactions.

Among those documents was a 1975 internal CIA memo that questioned whether Oswald became motivated to kill Kennedy after reading an AP article in a newspaper that quoted Fidel Castro as saying “U.S. leaders would be in danger if they helped in any attempt to do away with leaders of Cuba.” AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Czech Republic | Populist billionaire’s party wins ...

Next Article

Feature | Chinese power over North Korea? ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      USA | Democrats clinch enough votes for Iran nuclear deal

      September 10, 2015
      By -
    • World

      Mama Beyonce shines, Adele flubs in Grammy’s

      February 14, 2017
      By -
    • World

      World briefs

      July 18, 2018
      By -
    • World

      This day in history | 1973 First Open University degrees awarded

      January 11, 2022
      By -
    • World

      Trump calls new border wall a ‘world-class security system’

      September 20, 2019
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Suspect faces court in Belgium over Jewish museum attack

      January 11, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Asia-PacificBreaking NewsMacau

      Asia Today: 623 virus cases linked to South Korea church

    • World

      This Day in History | 1989 – Ayatollah sentences author to death

    • World

      Offbeat | Look what we found: Tiny female lion cub in French garage

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    

    Timeline

    • May 22, 2026

      Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

    • May 22, 2026

      Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

    • May 22, 2026

      Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

    • May 22, 2026

      Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

    • May 22, 2026

      HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

    • May 22, 2026

      The differences — and similarities — in the Trump and Putin visits to China 

    • May 22, 2026

      IAM says conditions not ready for expanding vet outpatient, surgical services

    • May 22, 2026

      GEG Honors Nearly 10,000 Long-Serving Team Members

    • May 22, 2026

      Domestic helper arrested over lost phone

    • May 22, 2026

      Zhuhai Border expects heavy traffic during Buddha’s Birthday holiday

    Recent Posts

    HeadlinesMacau

    Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

    Local authorities do not wish to share any figures on the number of local students who have a mental illness, the Times learned. In response to an inquiry from the ...
    • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

      By Ricaela Diputado, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

      By Irene Sam, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

      By Yuki Lei, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Recent

    • Popular

    • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

      By Renato Marques, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

      By Ricaela Diputado, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

      By Irene Sam, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

      By Yuki Lei, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

      By Yuki Lei, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • The differences — and similarities — in the Trump and Putin visits to China 

      By -
      May 22, 2026
    • IAM says conditions not ready for expanding vet outpatient, surgical services

      By Yuki Lei, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Canidrome may have its days numbered, decision in ‘one or two months’

      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
      May 26, 2016
    • Animal Welfare | Macau: Anima slams Canidrome management for avoiding debate

      By -
      May 4, 2016
    • Editorial | Canidoomed

      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
      June 1, 2016
    • Animal Welfare | Canidrome presented with ultimatum: close or move

      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
      July 22, 2016
    • Australia regulator cracks down on alleged exportation of dogs to Macau

      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
      June 10, 2016
    • USE OF ENGLISH IN MACAU | A ‘de facto’ official language

      By Catarina Pinto
      July 6, 2015
    • Animal rights | Canidrome: Anima in fresh airline negotiations as Canidrome closure looks more likely

      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
      May 27, 2016
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d