MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Kim Jong Nam’s identity confirmed with child’s DNA 

Kim Jong Nam’s identity confirmed with child’s DNA 

By -
March 16, 2017
1
0
Share:

Kim Jong Nam

Malaysian police were able to confirm the identity of Kim Jong Nam, who was killed last month at Kuala Lumpur’s airport, using a DNA sample from one of his children, Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said yesterday.

Zahid also said negotiations began Monday to resolve a diplomatic standoff over the death of Kim, the estranged half brother of North Korea’s leader.

Malaysian authorities say Kim was killed Feb. 13 when two women smeared his face with the banned nerve agent VX in a crowded airport terminal. He was carrying a passport bearing the name Kim Chol. Police said last week they had confirmed the victim was Kim Jong Nam, but refused to say how.

North Korea — widely suspected of being behind the attack — continues to call the victim Kim Chol and has rejected the autopsy findings.

Zahid said police “confirmed that the identity of the body is Kim Jong Nam based on the sample taken from his child.” He didn’t say when and where the DNA sample was taken.

Kim is believed to have two sons and a daughter with two women living in Beijing and Macau, but it is unclear where they currently are. A man claiming to be Kim’s son appeared in a YouTube video last week saying he’s safely with his mother and sister at an undisclosed location.

Malaysian officials say Kim’s body has been embalmed to better preserve it and that Kim’s relatives will be given two to three weeks to claim it.

Relations between Malaysia and North Korea have deteriorated sharply since Kim’s death, with each expelling the other’s ambassador. Last Tuesday, North Korea blocked all Malaysians from leaving the country until a “fair settlement” of the case is reached. Malaysia then barred North Koreans from exiting its soil. The two countries have also scrapped visa-free travel for each other’s citizens.

Four of the seven North Korean suspects being sought by Malaysia are believed to have left the country on the day Kim was killed. Police say the other three, including a North Korean diplomat and an employee of Air Koryo, North Korea’s state airline, are believed to be in the North Korean Embassy in Kuala Lumpur.

Zahid said formal talks are ongoing at the “secretary-general level” and that Malaysia is keeping an “open heart and open mind” in the negotiations.

Asked if Malaysia will exchange the Korean suspects believed to be hiding in the embassy for the Malaysians in Pyongyang, he said “we are looking at all possibilities.”

There are nine Malaysians in North Korea — three embassy staff members and their family members. About 315 North Koreans are in Malaysia.

Zahid also brushed off calls by North Korea for an international inquiry over the use of VX in Kim’s death, saying the North has shown that it doesn’t respect decisions made by international bodies in reference to its nuclear program.

Although Malaysia has never directly accused North Korea of being behind the attack, many speculate that it must have orchestrated it.

Experts say the VX nerve agent used to kill Kim was almost certainly produced in a sophisticated state weapons laboratory, and North Korea is widely believed to possess large quantities of chemical weapons. Eileen Ng, Kuala Lumpur, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsKim Jong Nam
Previous Article

Education | Many schools are adopting the ...

Next Article

Letter to the Editor | Non-pruning of ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Did a South Korean news report doom Kim Jong Un’s brother? 

      February 16, 2017
      By -
    • Features

      News of the world | The mysterious life and death of a North Korean exile

      March 3, 2017
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Kim Jong Nam | Police deny prejudice against Kim murder suspects

      March 23, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-PacificMacau

      Diplomats meet with woman arrested

      February 17, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Malaysia | Trial in Kim Jong Nam’s murder resumes

      January 23, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      Kim’s murder was to happen in Macau, suspect says in court

      April 18, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Breaking NewsHeadlinesMacauWorld

      Cut off: UK facing travel bans on fears of new virus strain

    • China

      South China Sea | Chinese forces to join exercises with rival claimants

    • Macau

      Woman accused of falsely reporting rape over gambling debt

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d