Portugal’s PM to visit Macau in September

Portugal’s Prime Minister Luís Montenegro

Portugal’s Prime Minister Luís Montenegro is expected to visit Macau in September as part of an official trip to China, President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa announced earlier this week.

The announcement comes amid ongoing efforts to deepen cooperation between Macau and Portuguese-speaking countries.

The president ruled out his own return to the Special Administrative Region this year, citing scheduling conflicts with Portugal’s June 10 National Day celebrations.

As reported by Lusa, president Marcelo had originally planned to attend the events in Macau, but said it was impossible to travel there due to commitments in Portugal on June 12.

Instead, Montenegro will make the trip while the President attends the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

“He has a visit to China that also includes a trip to Macau,” the president said.

The cancellation of Portugal Day events in Macau followed the collapse of the PSD/CDS-PP government in March and the resulting early legislative elections in May.

Ultimately, the president and prime minister celebrated Portugal Day in the western Algarve town of Lagos.

President Marcelo previously made a state visit to China and Macau in 2019, meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing before visiting Shanghai and Macau.

Meanwhile, at Tuesday’s reception marking Portugal’s National Day, Chief Executive Sam Hou Fai praised the Portuguese community’s significant contributions to Macau’s socioeconomic progress. The event was held at the Residence of the Consul General of Portugal.

The CE stated, “The contribution of the Portuguese communities has been important for the healthy development of this region in many ways.”

Amélia António, head of Casa de Portugal, also highlighted Macau’s position as a bridge between China and Portuguese-speaking countries. Speaking to the media, she expressed optimism but raised concerns about recent challenges, including the mass exodus of Portuguese residents.

On the sidelines of the event, António told the media, “I want to make it clear that I trust what Chinese leaders say today about the importance of Macau, about the importance of Portuguese as an official language here […] what is essential at this point is to definitively clarify whether what the Chinese authorities have been saying in relation to Macau’s role is to be taken seriously.”

Concerned about restrictive residency policies, António questioned whether Macau remains fully committed to its bridging role, stating, “Ever since this situation began, it has worried me deeply, and it worries me even more now […] you can’t make an omelet without eggs. How can Macau become a hub for spreading the Portuguese language, a hub of difference as China intends for Macau, if it lacks the necessary ingredients?”

She expressed hope that a potential visit by the Chief Executive to Portugal could address these issues.

Categories Headlines Macau