MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Grand Prix Museum to temporarily close

Grand Prix Museum to temporarily close

By -
July 15, 2016
1
0
Share:
Helena de Senna Fernandes

Helena de Senna Fernandes

Helena de Senna Fernandes, Director of the Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO), says that the Grand Prix Museum will be closed possibly starting from the first half of next year for renovation. The initial budget to revamp the facility comes in at MOP300 million, she said, speaking on the sidelines of an American Chamber of Commerce event (see below).
Earlier this year, the Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture, Alexis Tam, had announced that Macau will spend two to three years to complete the renovation process of the museum to rebuild it into a Grand Prix themed museum.
According to Senna Fernandes, the new theme of the museum will occupy the whole space of the Tourism Activities Centre, which is currently located solely at the basement level.
The construction will start with simple renovation works undertaken inside the building, such as maintenance of the cooling system, because, as told by Fernandes, “we need to prepare for this year’s Grand Prix.” This comment indicates that large-scale renovation works will only be initiated after the next Grand Prix.
Opened in 1993 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Macau Grand Prix, the current museum showcases several racing cars and motorbikes alongside other memorabilia related to the famous local race.
The themed museum will continue to have an exhibition section in addition to establishing an experience section, where visitors can experience 4D driving. “It will be changed from head to foot,” said Fernandes, who also revealed that her department is discussing with facilities’ suppliers, as well as with some large companies, in order to understand if all the aforementioned projects can be achieved and if new inspiration can be drawn.
By the time the renovation project commences, the Wine Museum, located in the same building, will be moved to Coloane, although “a definite location hasn’t been settled yet,” according to Senna Fernandes.
The protection of the Coloane village requires the department to first assess the situation of Coloane, as explained by the bureau’s director.
The MGTO plans to invite bids for the construction contract of the future museum in the first half of next year, and hopes the project can be completed by 2018. Staff reporter

American Chamber foresees second investment boom

The head of the American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham), Paul Tse, claimed that Macau’s American partners are ready to continue contributing to a healthy partnership. Tse believes that the government’s plan for the tourism sector will lead to a positive outcome, according to TDM.
Earlier this week, the AmCham hosted a luncheon where there were talks about tourism and the economic diversification of Macau.
Tse noted that Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes, the director of the Government Tourism Office (MGTO), said in her presentation that “after a total reliance on gaming for so many years, Macau is now on a very concrete path to diversify its economic activities from gaming into other auxiliary areas.” Tse also noted that Macau’s American partners have benefited from cross-continental investments, particularly after Macau’s handover in 1999.
Official data shows that US investment in the city has already topped ten billion US dollars. Nevertheless, Tse foresees a second boom of investments in the near future that is not simply driven by the casinos and the hospitality sector.
“Even more important is the fact that the breath and depth of tourism in Macau are going to be greatly enhanced over the next few years through careful planning and effective execution,” observed Tse.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

New Taxi regulation under discussion

Next Article

Tourist prices plunge in second quarter

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Casino stocks fall 4 pct at the HKSE

      August 21, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      India’s ‘history hunter’ is on a drive to salvage the past for future generations

      June 3, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      Teachers given new student assessment tool targeting mental health

      October 7, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Local construction workers turn to DSAL for support

      February 26, 2020
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Borders busy as non-resident workers crowd for Covid-19 tests

      May 12, 2020
      By -
    • Macau

      IAM rebuts resident’s statement on missing dog

      November 25, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Offbeat | 2020 starts on frigid note with polar bear plunges

    • China

      HONG KONG | Protesters block roads as leaders set deadline

    • Daily Edition

      Monday, November 2, 2020 – edition no. 3649

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d