MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›India | Catholic priests protest cardinal’s return

India | Catholic priests protest cardinal’s return

By -
July 25, 2019
0
0
Share:

India’s Catholic Church, already rocked by allegations that a bishop raped a nun, is facing an uprising by hundreds of priests against one of the country’s four cardinals following his reinstatement by Pope Francis.

Francis last year effectively suspended Cardinal George Alencherry, head of the eastern rite Syro-Malabar church in the southern Indian state of Kerala, amid a controversy over disputed land sales. Francis named a temporary administrator to run Alencherry’s Ernakulam-Angamaly archdiocese, resolve its financial problems and try to heal the divisions the dispute had caused among the priests.

Last month, Francis reinstated Alencherry after the administrator turned in his report. The findings were never made public, and two auxiliary bishops who were suspended along with Alencherry remain suspended.

About 450 priests, including 70 from outside of India, began a hunger strike and prayer vigil last week at the bishop’s house in city of Kochi to protest Alencherry’s reinstatement, the continued suspension of the two bishops and to demand information about the investigation. More than 360 priests signed a petition that was sent to the Vatican.

“We were expecting a positive note from Vatican but unfortunately we got a shock that Vatican terminated the apostolic administrator and brought back Cardinal Alencherry,” said the Rev. Kuriakose Mundadan, secretary of the presbyteral council and one of the protesting priests.

In a telephone interview with The Associated Press, he said the priests had originally complained that Alencherry bypassed church law requiring consultations before selling the land, and that the sales were made at a steep loss for the church.

In his June 26 letter announcing Alencherry’s reinstatement, Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, head of the Vatican’s office for eastern rite churches, hinted that financial controls would be strengthened. He told Alencherry that he must submit monthly financial plans and reports to the Syro-Malabar synod, or governing body, and that synod members are to help him administer the archdiocese.

The synod is to meet again next month to decide further, long-term solutions, Sandri said, adding that he remained deeply concerned about the “grave situation of ecclesial division” in the archdiocese.

“The most important task at hand is therefore rebuilding the communion of the local church,” he wrote.

Mundadan, the protesting priest, said the hunger strike had ended after priests met with members of the synod and presented their demands. “They gave us assurance that our demands will be put forward in the coming synod in August,” he told the AP.

The Syro-Malabar Church and the Syro-Malankara Church are the two main eastern rite churches in India. Together with the Latin rite Roman Catholic Church, the three churches in communion with the Vatican make up only around 1.6 percent of India’s mostly Hindu population.

Earlier this year, police in Kerala — India’s most Catholic state — charged a bishop with repeatedly raping a nun in a case that has generated global headlines amid the church’s sex abuse crisis. The bishop has denied the allegations.

Church members filed a petition against Alencherry last year accusing him of failing to act on the nun’s allegations. The petition remains pending.Emily Schmall & Nicole Winfield, New Delhi, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Japan to pursue S.Korea trade curbs, citing ...

Next Article

Chinese military denies it has deal to ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      INDONESIA | 2 foreigners still missing in boat sinking 

      August 19, 2014
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      North Korea | Parliament convenes to approve national agenda

      April 12, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      New Zealand | Lawmaker accuses opposition leader of corruption

      October 17, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Marcos orders shutdown of Chinese-run online gambling industry employing thousands

      July 24, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Japan | Tokyo seeks Jordan’s help on gaining hostage’s release

      January 27, 2015
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Philippines | Duterte asks Congress to extend martial law

      July 19, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      MGM concludes maritime silk road cultural training program

    • China

      Germany presents long-awaited strategy on China as a rival and partner

    • Asia-Pacific

      Seeking to protect boys, Thailand wants control over films

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d