MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›World’s hottest PC Game could get locked out of China

World’s hottest PC Game could get locked out of China

By -
October 31, 2017
0
0
Share:

Customers at an internet cafe play online games in Beijing

The world’s hottest video game is set to be shut out of the biggest market. A Chinese gaming association said in an announcement posted online that PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is too bloody and violent for sale in the country. The gladiator- style mentality of the computer game – where competitors kill each other until only one remains – deviates from the values of socialism and is deemed harmful to young consumers, according to the China Audio-Video and Digital Publishing Association.

It’s highly unlikely for the game known as PUBG to receive an official license for China, given that the association consulted with the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television before issuing its statement. SAPPRFT is the regulator that licenses virtually all content in China, and has previously banned content such as the TV series “BoJack Horseman” and “The Big Bang Theory.” PUBG’s premise runs counter to President Xi Jinping’s recent calls for unity, aimed at tightening party control.

“This basically spells the death sentence for PUBG in China,” said Benjamin Wu, an analyst at Shanghai-based consultancy Pacific Epoch. “PUBG’s main problem is that the underlying ideology clashes with what’s preached in China.”

PUBG, published by South Korea’s Bluehole Inc., has been the surprise hit of the gaming industry this year, selling more than 13 million copies globally. The title sells for about USD30 a copy and is played on PCs.

There’s been growing interest among Chinese gamers in getting their hands on PUBG, but the game has lacked official approval for distribution. That means users can only download and run the game through virtual private networks, which are slow and often blocked. Tencent Holdings Ltd., China’s biggest gaming company, was in discussions to purchase licensing rights, the South Korean company said last month. Neither company responded to requests for comment.

Not all violent games are banned in China. One of the country’s most popular games is Tencent’s Honour of Kings, in which teams of five hack their way through a battle arena to vanquish opponents. But the characters are cartoonish, while PUBG’s are realistic.

The Korean title is like a digital version of “The Hunger Games,” where 100 combatants are dropped onto an island and proceed to slaughter each other. China’s content watchdog strongly opposes duel-to-the-death games and they will have a hard time wining operating licenses, according to the industry body. The association also recommended that Chinese companies do not develop such games and discouraged live streaming of related content.

“I suspect it won’t affect Tencent too much because no one can touch survival games anymore,” said Wu. “It doesn’t have to worry that a competitor will supersede it.”

China is the world’s largest market for videogames, with industry revenue expected to hit $27.5 billion this year, slightly ahead of the U.S. with $25 billion, according to researcher Newzoo. But regulators in the world’s second-largest economy periodically clamp down on forms of content they deem threaten social stability, often without warning.

Honour of Kings did come under scrutiny this year when the leading government newspaper blasted the title for harming children in the pursuit of profit. The Chinese company also publishes a first-person shooter called CrossFire, developed by South Korean developer SmileGate Holdings. Both titles are still available in China. Lulu Yilun Chen, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

HSBC posts higher Q3 profit as Asian ...

Next Article

IC announces Academic Research Grant recipients

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Macau People Power asks for second cash handout in 2020

      March 3, 2020
      By Julie Zhu, MDT
    • Macau

      Briefs | Mobile base station at Border Gate busted

      November 6, 2014
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Second fatality due to hypothermia

      January 27, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Macau man arrested in Shanghai for violating Zhuhai court restrictions

      June 14, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Mass area smoking ban starts today

      October 6, 2014
      By -
    • Macau

      DSEDJ to launch teaching materials on China’s victory over fascism

      June 27, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Sports

      12-year-old Yu Zidi of China takes stunning times to world swimming championships

    • Asia-Pacific

      Indonesia executes 4 people convicted of drug crimes

    • World

      Uganda | Schools reopen, ending world’s longest lockdown

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d