MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesWorld
Home›Headlines›25 arrested on suspicion of planning far-right armed coup
Germany

25 arrested on suspicion of planning far-right armed coup

By -
December 7, 2022
1
0
Share:

Masked police officers lead Heinrich XIII Prince Reuss (center) to a police vehicle during a raid against so-called ‘Reich citizens’ in Frankfurt, Germany, Wednesday (Boris Roessler/dpa via AP)

Thousands of police officers carried out raids across much of Germany today (Wednesday) against suspected far-right extremists who allegedly sought to overthrow the government in an armed coup. Officials said 25 people were detained.
Federal prosecutors said some 3,000 officers conducted searches at 130 sites in 11 of Germany’s 16 states. While police raids against the far right are not uncommonin the country — still sensitive to its grim Nazi past — the scale of the operation was unusual.
Justice Minister Marco Buschmann described the raids as an “anti-terrorism operation,” adding that the suspects may have planned an armed attack on institutions of the state.
Germany’s top security official said the group was “driven by violent coup fantasies and conspiracy ideologies.”
Prosecutors said the suspects were linked to the so-called Reich Citizens movement, whose adherents reject Germany’s postwar constitution and have called for bringing down the government.
Officers detained 22 German citizens on suspicion of “membership in a terrorist organization,” prosecutors said. Three other people, including a Russian citizen, were held on suspicion of supporting the organization, they said. Another 27 people were under investigation.
German media outlet Der Spiegel reported the searched locations included the barracks of Germany’s special forces unit KSK in the southwestern town of Calw. The unit received scrutiny in the past over alleged far-right involvement by some soldiers.
Federal prosecutors declined to confirm or deny that the barracks was searched.
Along with detentions in Germany, prosecutors said one person was detained in the Austrian town of Kitzbuehel and another in the Italian city of Perugia.
Prosecutors said those detained are alleged to have last year formed a “terrorist organization with the goal of overturning the existing state order in Germany and replace it with their own form of state, which was already in the course of being founded.”
The suspects were aware their aim could only be achieved by military means and with force, prosecutors said.
Some of the group’s members had made “concrete preparations” to storm Germany’s federal parliament with a small armed group, according to prosecutors. “The details (of this plan) still need to be investigated” to determine whether any of the suspects can be charged with treason, they said.
The group is alleged to have believed in a “conglomerate of conspiracy theories consisting of narratives from the so-called Reich Citizens as well as QAnon ideology,” according to the statement. Prosecutors added that members of the group also believe Germany is ruled by a so-called “deep state;” similar baseless claims about the United States were made by former President Donald Trump.
Prosecutors identified the suspected ringleaders as Heinrich XIII P. R. and Ruediger v. P., in line with German privacy rules. Der Spiegel reported that the former was a well-known 71-year-old member of a minor German noble family, while the latter was a 69-year-old former paratrooper.
Federal prosecutors said Heinrich XIII P. R., whom the group planned to install as Germany’s new leader, had contacted Russian officials with the aim of negotiating a new order in the country once the German government was overthrown. He was allegedly assisted in this by a Russian woman, Vitalia B.
“According to current investigations there is no indication however that the persons contacted responded positively to his request,” prosecutors said.
Prosecutors identified another individual detained by police Wednesday as Birgit M.-W. Der Spiegel reported she is a judge and former lawmaker with the far-right Alternative for Germany party.
The party, known by its German acronym AfD, has increasingly come under scrutiny by German security services due to its ties with extremists.
AfD’s co-leaders, Tino Chrupalla and Alice Weidel, condemned the reported plans, which they said they had only learned of through the media.
“We have full confidence in the authorities involved and demand a swift and comprehensive investigation,” they said in a statement.
Prosecutors said that apart from a council of leaders, or Rat, the group had tasked several members with the formation of an armed wing. Led by Ruediger v. P., they planned to obtain weapons and conduct firearms training.
Wednesday’s raids showed that “we know how to defend ourselves with full force against the enemies of democracy,” Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said.
“The investigation offers an insight into the depths of the terrorist threat within the Reich Citizens milieu,” Faeser said. “Only the further investigation will provide a clear picture of how far the coup plans had come.”
Sara Nanni, a Green party lawmaker, suggested the group may not have been very capable.
“More details keep coming to light that raise doubts about whether these people were even clever enough to plan and carry out such a coup,” Nanni said in a post on the social network Mastodon. “The fact is: no matter how crude their ideas are and how hopeless their plans, even the attempt is dangerous!”
Officials have repeatedly warned that far-right extremists pose the biggest threat to Germany’s domestic security. This threat was highlighted by the killing of a regional politician and the deadly attack on a synagogue in 2019. A year later, far-right extremists taking part in a protest against the country’s pandemic restrictions tried and failed to storm the Bundestag building in Berlin.
Faeser announced earlier this year that the government planned to disarm about 1,500 suspected extremists and to tighten background checks for those wanting to acquire guns as part of a broader crackdown on the far right.
Germany’s chief federal prosecutor planned to make a statement on the case later Wednesday.

MDT/AP

 

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsFar rightGermany
Previous Article

Former HKEx boss permitted to operate financial ...

Next Article

Thursday, December 8, 2022 – edition no. ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • BuzzWorld

      Campaigners call for fossil fuel deadline, more climate aid

      May 3, 2023
      By -
    • World

      European leaders to speak with Trump ahead of his summit with Putin

      August 14, 2025
      By -
    • World

      Germany’s newest panda twins thrive during first five days in Berlin Zoo

      August 29, 2024
      By -
    • World

      Ex-Audi boss convicted of fraud in automaker’s diesel emissions scandal

      June 28, 2023
      By -
    • World

      Coal mine clash pits laws against climate

      January 12, 2023
      By -
    • World

      German bakers bring Christmas specialty to life with rich tradition

      December 4, 2025
      By -

    • Macau

      Two‑power‑bank carry‑on limit enforced

    • World

      Briefs | Trump stirs new controversy by criticizing McCain war record

    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      Spotlight to launch ‘The World on a Plate’ series with Thai buffet

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    

    Timeline

    • May 22, 2026

      Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

    • May 22, 2026

      Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

    • May 22, 2026

      Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

    • May 22, 2026

      Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

    • May 22, 2026

      HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

    • May 22, 2026

      The differences — and similarities — in the Trump and Putin visits to China 

    • May 22, 2026

      IAM says conditions not ready for expanding vet outpatient, surgical services

    • May 22, 2026

      GEG Honors Nearly 10,000 Long-Serving Team Members

    • May 22, 2026

      Domestic helper arrested over lost phone

    • May 22, 2026

      Zhuhai Border expects heavy traffic during Buddha’s Birthday holiday

    Recent Posts

    HeadlinesMacau

    Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

    Local authorities do not wish to share any figures on the number of local students who have a mental illness, the Times learned. In response to an inquiry from the ...
    • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

      By Ricaela Diputado, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

      By Irene Sam, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

      By Yuki Lei, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Recent

    • Popular

    • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

      By Renato Marques, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

      By Ricaela Diputado, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

      By Irene Sam, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

      By Yuki Lei, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

      By Yuki Lei, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • The differences — and similarities — in the Trump and Putin visits to China 

      By -
      May 22, 2026
    • IAM says conditions not ready for expanding vet outpatient, surgical services

      By Yuki Lei, MDT
      May 22, 2026
    • Canidrome may have its days numbered, decision in ‘one or two months’

      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
      May 26, 2016
    • Animal Welfare | Macau: Anima slams Canidrome management for avoiding debate

      By -
      May 4, 2016
    • Editorial | Canidoomed

      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
      June 1, 2016
    • Animal Welfare | Canidrome presented with ultimatum: close or move

      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
      July 22, 2016
    • Australia regulator cracks down on alleged exportation of dogs to Macau

      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
      June 10, 2016
    • USE OF ENGLISH IN MACAU | A ‘de facto’ official language

      By Catarina Pinto
      July 6, 2015
    • Animal rights | Canidrome: Anima in fresh airline negotiations as Canidrome closure looks more likely

      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
      May 27, 2016
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d