MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Court finds driver not guilty over jaywalker’s death

Court finds driver not guilty over jaywalker’s death

By -
July 28, 2014
1
0
Share:

A 22-year-old female driver has been found not guilty of manslaughter after her car hit and killed a mainland tourist on the Avenida de Amizade last February. Both the defendant and her insurance company did not need to compensate the victim.
The incident took place on February 7, last year. A man was crossing the section of the Avenida de Amizade near the Casino Oceanus and the Fisherman’s Wharf when he was hit by a car and died the day after.
He was later found to be a mainland tourist from Shanxi province, and was working as a doctor and a teacher in a law school. He is survived by his wife and his son, a high-school student.
During sentencing, Judge Ip Son Sang of the Court of First Instance (TJB) pointed out that the main issue in the case was to find out whether the defendant had committed any wrongdoing during her driving.
He said that there was an overpass near the scene and the driver’s vision was also blocked by cars on the other lane. Witnesses have also testified that the victim walked very fast.
Although it is pointed out that the driver did not stay in the right lane, Ip Son Sang said that there were coach buses parked in the right lane. As a result, he found the accused to have committed no wrongdoing and to bear no criminal responsibility.
Moreover, since it is the victim who violated the traffic regulations by jaywalking, the court found that there were no grounds for the request of an indemnity. Therefore, the court has acquitted the accused and his insurance company. JPL

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Briefs: Liaison Office opens new website today

Next Article

Pregnant women injured in bridge crashes

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Wynn expands premium gaming areas as part of capex efforts

      November 6, 2024
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • Macau

      Briefs | SMG forecasts ‘very hot’ weather today

      May 10, 2021
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      IC claims pandemic led to more reading

      March 13, 2024
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Sensory play and early intervention keys in tackling developmental delays

      August 13, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • Macau

      Briefs | Tutoring centers said to be raising fees

      March 4, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t issues 5G licenses for CTM and China Telecom

      November 8, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      Chinese basketball legend Yao Ming steps down as head of national league

    • Macau

      Two women fall victim to phone scams

    • Macau

      Tourism | More performers join CNY parade

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d