MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Country braces for disruptions as former ruling party calls for lockdown to protest Hasina trial
Bangladesh

Country braces for disruptions as former ruling party calls for lockdown to protest Hasina trial

By -
November 14, 2025
1
0
Share:

Activists of Bangladesh’s Jamaat-e-Islami party stage a protest rally against a nationwide “lockdown” called by ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in Dhaka, yesterday

Classes and transportation in Bangladesh were seriously disrupted yesterday as ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her former ruling Awami League party called for a nationwide “lockdown” in protest against her trial over last year’s protests that left hundreds dead.

Hasina faces charges of crimes against humanity involving a crackdown on the student-led uprising that ended her 15-year rule in August 2024. She has been in exile in India since then and has not been seen in public or online.

A special tribunal in Bangladesh’s capital, Dhaka, is expected to announce a verdict against Hasina on Monday, chief prosecutor Tajul Islam said during a news conference yesterday.

Hasina’s now-banned Awami League party urged its supporters and others to protest while the government and opposition to Hasina vowed to stop them.

Schools in Dhaka and major cities across Bangladesh switched to online classes and examinations while public transportation was severely disrupted as the government heightened security across the country.

Dhaka has suffered incidents of vandalism this week as usually clogged streets remained mostly empty yesterday.

A fire bomb was thrown at a government office in Gopalganj district, which is Hasina’s ancestral home and a stronghold for her party. An office of Grameen Bank, a small loan institution founded by Bangladesh’s current interim leader, Muhammad Yunus, was torched Wednesday in eastern Bangladesh, local media reported.

Yunus, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate along with Grameen Bank, said in a televised address that his administration would hold a referendum on a national charter, which was signed last month by political parties, on the day of the next election in February. The date has not yet been announced.

The referendum, Yunus said, would propose a two-tier parliament in line with the “July National Charter” adopted by the interim government that he took over three days after Hasina’s fall on Aug. 5, 2024.

Yunus also repeated his pledge to punish Hasina.

Explosions of crude bombs and torched vehicles were reported over the past three days in Dhaka and elsewhere, indicating that political chaos will continue in the country, which has a history of political violence.

On Wednesday evening, arson was reported on a train and a bus in Dhaka, and crude bombs went off earlier in the day on the Dhaka University campus.

Yesterday morning, soldiers along with other security agencies were deployed to guard the premises of the special tribunal, which is overseeing a case involving former Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan and former Police Chief Chowdhury Abdullah Al-Mamun.

Al-Mamun is an “approver” in the case, meaning he pleaded guilty and became a state witness against Hasina. Al-Mamun was brought to the tribunal with tight security yesterdayy while Khan is believed to be in India. Both Hasina and Khan are being tried in absentia. The prosecution has not sought any punishment for Al-Mamun.

Hasina was ousted after weeks of violence that left hundreds dead. The interim government pledged parliamentary elections would be held in February, but Hasina’s Awami League has launched a campaign, mainly on social media, decrying the election if the party is not allowed to participate. The party says thousands of its supporters have been arrested across the country.

Islam, the chief prosecutor, sought the death penalty for Hasina last month, calling her the “mastermind and principal architect” behind crimes against humanity committed during the uprising.

The Awami League has called the tribunal a “kangaroo court.” Hasina has not appointed a lawyer and denounced the appointment of a lawyer by the state to represent her.

Up to 1,400 people may have been killed in the violence, according to a United Nations report in February. The country’s health adviser under the interim government said more than 800 people were killed and about 14,000 were injured.

Hasina disputed the figures and demanded an independent investigation.

Many Indian outlets published interviews with Hasina in recent weeks, all conduced via email. The interviews apparently irked Bangladesh’s current government. Bangladesh’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner in Dhaka Pawan Badhe to formally convey its concerns over India allowing “fugitive” Hasina to interact with mainstream Indian media.

Hasina in her interviews accused Yunus of backing Islamists and violating human and political rights, especially of supporters of her banned party. Hasina’s son, Sajeeb Wazed, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that only an inclusive election could stabilize the country. JULHAS ALAM, DHAKA

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsBangladesh
Previous Article

2000 Fuel protesters rally for tax cut

Next Article

Epstein email says Trump ‘knew about the ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      Bangladesh | Court upholds death for Islamist leader

      November 4, 2014
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Prolonged Rohingya stay impacts stability: PM

      September 14, 2022
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Nobel laureate Yunus arrives in Dhaka to take over as interim leader

      August 9, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Deli and Dhaka launch new India-assisted rail projects amid opposition protests

      November 2, 2023
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Rohingya refugees mark the anniversary of their exodus and demand a safe return

      August 26, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Fresh tension grips Bangladesh as student demand president’s resignation

      October 24, 2024
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Blast at Coloane power station injures one CEM employee

    • Daily Edition

      Monday, July 1, 2019 – edition no. 3322

    • Extra Times

      App Television

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d