MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Philippines | Duterte refuses call to open his bank accounts to scrutiny

Philippines | Duterte refuses call to open his bank accounts to scrutiny

By -
September 14, 2017
0
0
Share:

The Philippine president refused a demand by his most vocal critic to publicly release details of his bank accounts to disprove allegations that he had large sums of undeclared money.

President Rodrigo Duterte said in a news conference yesterday that if opposition Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV wanted “to get evidence, do not get it from my mouth. You must be stupid […] Why would I give you the pleasure?”

Trillanes first alleged Duterte had unexplained wealth during the presidential campaign last year. In February, he publicly raised the issue again because he said Duterte had not yet revealed details of the more than 2 billion pesos (USD39 million) he allegedly kept in bank accounts as a former city mayor.

Duterte inadvertently brought the issue back to public focus recently when he alleged Trillanes has several undeclared joint bank accounts with unidentified Chinese men in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Australia and the United States. Trillanes denied it and signed about a dozen waivers for authorities to look into the alleged bank accounts and demanded that Duterte do the same.

Duterte went on a personal attack against Trillanes, one of his harshest critics and a former navy officer once detained for a failed coup plot. He mocked Trillanes for losing the vice presidential race last year and alleged that the senator keeps huge funds in his bank accounts in amounts just below the level that could spark a Central Bank inquiry.

Duterte said a move by another senator to file an ethical complaint against Trillanes could lead to his ouster from the chamber “because of his behavior.”

Trillanes is among key officials critical of some of Duterte’s policies who are facing ouster attempts by the president’s political allies who overwhelmingly dominate the Philippine Congress.

Yesterday, the majority of the members of the Justice Committee of the House of Representatives voted to declare an impeachment complaint against Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno sufficient to investigate her.

On Tuesday, lawmakers voted to slash the annual budget of the Commission on Human Rights to 1,000 pesos ($20) for next year, although the decision can still be changed.

Critics were alarmed by the move, which they said could effectively abolish the agency, which was created under the constitution to investigate human rights violations. The agency was seeking an annual budget of 649 million pesos ($12.7 million).

Commission Chairman Chito Gascon has been a vocal critic of Duterte’s bloody crackdown on illegal drugs that has left thousands of people dead.

U.N. rights expert Agnès Callamard said the move to massively cut the rights agency’s budget was “reprehensible and unconscionable.”  Filipino Rep. Edcel Lagman said the congressional move that could virtually abolish a constitutional commission was “unconstitutional.” AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

USA | Top Dems say Flynn left ...

Next Article

Myanmar | As Rohingya flee violence, Suu ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      New Zealand | ‘Military-style’ guns banned after mosque attacks

      March 22, 2019
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      East Timor | American ex-priest found guilty of sex abuse

      December 24, 2021
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Myanmar | Suu Kyi: Incoming government to prioritize peace in the country

      January 5, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      South Korean police seek to arrest K-pop mogul behind BTS

      April 22, 2026
      By MDT/AP
    • Asia-PacificWorld

      North Korea fires its first ICBM in 3 months after making threat over alleged US spy flights

      July 13, 2023
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Malaysia | Former PM Najib’s third corruption trial opens

      November 19, 2019
      By -

    • Macau

      Indonesia searches for ways to balance domestic industries with surging Chinese imports

    • Macau

      Lawmakers pass bill regulating environmental noise

    • Macau

      Casino exclusion applications surge during first semester

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d