MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Southeast Asia | US ready to help fight extremist sea attacks

Southeast Asia | US ready to help fight extremist sea attacks

By -
July 5, 2016
1
0
Share:
Rear Adm. Brian Hurley

Rear Adm. Brian Hurley

The U.S. military is concerned about a series of attacks and abductions of tugboat crewmen by Abu Sayyaf extremists in Southeast Asian waters and is willing to lend a hand if needed as part of America’s aim to ensure the freedom and safety of navigation in the region, a U.S. Navy official said yesterday.
Rear Adm. Brian Hurley said the U.S. Navy has worked with Southeast Asian governments to ensure freedom of navigation and the safety of people in the economically bustling region and would continue to do so.
Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines have agreed to take possible coordinated actions, including sea and air patrols, and establish a “transit corridor” as designated sea lanes for boats and ships in the seas along their borders to stop an alarming wave of attacks by Abu Sayyaf extremists and allied militants.
More than two dozen Indonesian and Malaysian crewmen have been kidnapped by ransom-seeking Abu Sayyaf militants and allied gunmen who use powerful speedboats to stage four attacks on slow-moving tugboats in the Sulu Sea and outlying waters since April.
All the hostages from the first three attacks have been freed reportedly in exchange for ransom but a fourth tugboat came under attack last month and seven Indonesian crewmen were kidnapped, officials said.
A Philippine military officer, who has monitored the offshore attacks, said the Abu Sayyaf may have been working with militants and contacts in Indonesia and Malaysia to carry out attacks on passing tugboats and commercial ships similar to the piracy assaults in Somalia few years ago.
The shift to piracy may have been prompted by stronger military actions that have made it more difficult for the militants to carry out kidnappings for ransom — a key source of funds by the Abu Sayyaf, the officer said.
“We are always concerned about safety at sea and the freedom of navigation through the waters,” Hurley told The Associated Press during an interview. “From the Navy’s perspective, it’s freedom of navigation through all these different straits that we are doing that and working together in a multilateral engagement is very much appreciated and we will continue to do so,” he said.
In the disputed South China Sea, the U.S. Navy deploys about 700 ships each year for patrols — an average of two ships per day — to ensure freedom of navigation “and we’ll continue to do that all over the world,” Hurley said.
Hurley and other navy officials from Australia and New Zealand spoke on board the Navy hospital ship USNS Mercy off Legazpi city in the northeastern Philippine province of Albay while participating in an annual humanitarian mission called the Pacific Partnership, which also aims to improve disaster preparedness.
More than 600 military and civilian personnel from the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Singapore and South Korea are involved in the civic mission that was conceived following the December 2004 massive earthquake off Indonesia that triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in a dozen countries. Jim Gomez, Associated Press, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

El Salvador | Deadliest nation in 2015, ...

Next Article

Terrorism | Educated and well-off, Dhaka attackers ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      Dam projects risk re-igniting Myanmar’s civil war

      December 15, 2014
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Japan’s emperor in Thailand to pay respects to late king 

      March 6, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Vietnam | Floods and landslides kill 43, leave 34 missing in Vietnam

      October 13, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Myanmar hosts joint naval exercise with Russia, its close ally and top arms supplier

      November 9, 2023
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Rohingya refugees rally to mark second anniversary of exodus

      August 26, 2019
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Vietnam | Southern Mekong delta faces worst drought in history

      March 18, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      UM to offer Doctor of Public Health programme

    • World

      Australia to spend USD813m to address Indigenous disadvantage

    • Sports

      Boxing | Golovkin to return in June after signing deal with DAZN

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d