MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Coloane Hill Skyscraper | New Macau says there’s procrastination over Urban Planning Law

Coloane Hill Skyscraper | New Macau says there’s procrastination over Urban Planning Law

By -
March 11, 2016
0
0
Share:
Scott Chiang

Scott Chiang

 

Scott Chiang, president of the New Macau Association (ANM) and a handful of other association members met outside the government headquarters yesterday afternoon in a bid to deliver a letter comprising complaints leveled mostly against the Chief Executive (CE), Chui Sai On.
The English translation of the letter, entitled “Things our CE didn’t know he could do for Coloane,” accused Macau’s highest authority of allegedly misunderstanding his own constitutional powers.
It lamented the delays and “procrastination” of the MSAR government in relation to the installation of the Urban Planning Law, which has been under consideration for almost three years, and implied that the delay was a deliberate ploy to usher in the development project slated for Coloane Hill.
Following on from ANM accusations earlier this week that the government had been quietly but speedily facilitating the approval of construction permits for the proposed 100-meter residential project planned for Estrada do Campo, the organization’s letter stated they were “dumbfounded by our CE when he admitted himself to ‘not knowing what to do’ in legal operations to halt the project.”
“He also confused the aforementioned power of preliminary measure with his administrative discretion,” the statement dated March 10 continued, “again the administration never stops amazing us with its profound understanding of the law.”
Protesters have been demonstrating against the residential building project since 2013, as it is expected to infringe on Macau’s last significant area of greenery.
Last month around 40 people gathered on Coloane’s hiking trails insisting that the government stand by its earlier commitments to the area’s protection as an ecological reserve.
A statement made by the Land, Public Works and Transport Bureau last week stressed that the project had not been granted a construction permit and that starting any construction without such a permit would be strictly illegal .
Shortly afterwards the Chief Executive told reporters that he had read many reports on the situation and had noted many opinions, however “without any doubt, the government’s actions are ruled by the law,” and “both the Secretary [for Transport and Public Works] Raimundo do Rosário and other authorities have already expressed [the same sentiments].”
Yesterday ANM further urged the Chief Executive to immediately halt the Coloane Hill project and reiterated their call that “no major urbanizing project [should take place] in Coloane before a legal district planning [operative] is in place.”
There were no representatives from the government to meet Scott Chiang yesterday and the front gate of the government headquarters remained closed, leading some journalists at the scene to wonder whether ANM had informed the government of the meeting and intention to deliver the letter.
“This is the front door: it is never open,” said Chiang. “There is also a back door but you know, in Chinese, that is [a euphemism] for corruption.”
Before leaving the scene, Chiang rolled up the letter and secured it in the gate by placing it through the space between the bars. A police officer approached Chiang and questioned him about the letter but did not remove it or ask the ANM president to do so. Daniel Beitler

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Anastasia Lijadi Scholar: ‘I believe there will ...

Next Article

Housing | New private developments to provide ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Forum Macau to strengthen economic relations with Angola

      June 27, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Lawmakers call for regulation on domestic noise

      January 25, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      China’s Reform in the New Era: Opportunities for the World

      August 1, 2024
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Red Market to undergo refurbishment in Sep

      January 19, 2018
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Authorities not investigating Taiwan casino scam

      June 15, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Angola may close consulate in Macau

      January 23, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Hong Kong adds bribery charge against former CE

    • Breaking NewsChinaMacau

      Pangolins a potential intermediate host of novel coronavirus: study

    • China

      Huawei files lawsuits accusing Samsung of violating patents

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d