MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 2003 Libya gives up chemical weapons

This Day in History | 2003 Libya gives up chemical weapons

By -
December 19, 2016
1
0
Share:

Libya has made a surprise announcement undertaking to destroy its arsenal of weapons of mass destruction.

The government of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has also agreed to allow weapons inspectors into Libya immediately and unconditionally to oversee the elimination.

Under the agreement, Libya, which is included on the US list of state sponsors of terrorism, will dismantle its weapons of mass destruction and limit the range of its missiles to no more than 300 km.

It emerged that Tripoli has already allowed US and British experts to see elements of the weapons programs during two trips to Libya in October and December this year.

In its statement today, the Libyan Foreign Ministry said: “[Libya] believes that the arms race will neither serve its security nor the region’s security and contradicts [Libya’s] great concern for a world that enjoys peace and security.”

The statement has been welcomed by the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, and the US President, George W Bush, who made televised addresses almost at the same time.

President Bush said the agreement, signed after nine months of secret negotiations, would “make the world and America a safer place, and the world more peaceful”. He went on to hint that tough US sanctions on Libya would be scrapped if Tripoli kept its word.

Mr Blair praised the decision as “historic” and “courageous”. “It shows that the problems of proliferation can be tackled through discussion and engagement,” he said.

He revealed that Libya had approached Britain in March with an offer to open discussions on WMD. Until then, intelligence officers had suspected that it was working on chemical and biological weapons but had never been able to confirm it.

Mr Blair said Libya had acknowledged it was working towards developing a nuclear weapon, and had got close to achieving its objective. The breakthrough is the latest in a series of developments which have thawed previously frosty relations between Libya and the West.

One of the most significant was Tripoli’s admission of responsibility in August this year for the Lockerbie air disaster in 1988, in which 270 people died.

Colonel Gadaffi agreed to pay $2.7bn compensation to relatives of those killed in the attack, paving the way for UN sanctions against Libya to be lifted in September.

Courtesy of BBC

In context

In March 2004, Libya submitted a full report on its chemical weapons programmes to the UN.

In it, the country declared a 20-ton stockpile of deadly mustard gas, as well as large amounts of chemical agents used in the manufacture of sarin and other toxins.

Later the same month, British Prime Minister Tony Blair made a controversial visit to Libya to meet Colonel Gadaffi.

It was the first time a British prime minister had visited Libya since Winston Churchill in 1943.

Most US sanctions against Libya were revoked in April 2004, and diplomatic ties between the US and Libya were formally resumed in June 2004.

Libya’s efforts to end its pariah status have also led to payouts for relatives of victims of two more bombings, one of a French airliner in 1979 and the other of a disco in Berlin, Germany, in 1986.

The United States boycotts on trade and importing Libyan oil were lifted in September 2004. In the same month, the EU lifted its last embargo, on the sale of arms to Libya. The US restored full diplomatic relations in May 2006.

Gaddafi was ousted from power in the wake of the fall of Tripoli to rebel forces on 20 August 2011. The civil war continued and he was killed on 20 October 2011 during the Battle of Sirte.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Offbeat | Rare plant named after rock ...

Next Article

Yemen Blast kills at least 48 ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Attorney paying ex-casino mogul Steve Wynn defamation claim

      May 27, 2022
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Wandering horse: Strolling mare causes stir in Frankfurt

      May 1, 2019
      By -
    • World

      World Briefs

      January 9, 2020
      By -
    • World

      World briefs

      April 25, 2019
      By -
    • World

      Google CEO calls for regulation of artificial intelligence

      January 21, 2020
      By -
    • World

      EXTREMISM | Hunt on for militants who beheaded French mountaineer

      September 26, 2014
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      The Buzz | The richest exaggeration: Website wrongfully claims Stanley Ho’s death

    • Asia-Pacific

      Villagers honor guardian spirits to pray for rain and good fortune 

    • Macau

      Briefs | Bus collision injures seven

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d