MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Sports
Home›Sports›Football | Australia looks to reignite WCup campaign against China

Football | Australia looks to reignite WCup campaign against China

By -
November 15, 2021
0
0
Share:

Australia is hoping to get its World Cup qualification campaign back on Tuesday in Sharjah with a win that would almost certainly end China’s slim hopes of returning to the Middle East next November.
One point from the last two games has resulted in the Socceroos slipping into second in Group B at the halfway stage, three points behind Saudi Arabia, the two teams drew 0-0 in Sydney on Thursday, and just one above Japan. Only the top two from each of the six-team groups are guaranteed a place at the Qatar World Cup.
Failure to win in Sharjah, the game has been switched from China due to travel restrictions put in place by Beijing to combat the spread of COVID-19, could see Australia slip out of the two places that guarantee a place in the Qatar World Cup in each of the six-team groups.
Coach Graham Arnold is staying positive despite the recent setbacks. “We’re in a great spot, it’s all in our hands,” Arnold said. “If you’ve got something that’s in your hands, you’re in a great position rather than having to rely on other results.”
Australia will be without Harry Souttar as the giant Stoke City defender picked up a knee injury against Saudi Arabia.
China, with just one World Cup appearance in its history, has just four points out of the five games so far to increase pressure on coach Li Tie. Defeat would likely spell the end of any ambitions of finishing third and entering the play-off route to the World Cup.
Following the 1-1 draw with Oman on Thursday, there have been growing calls for Li to resign though former China coach Zhu Guanghu has defended the current boss.
“Very few of the current crop of Chinese players are hungry for football,” Zhu said. “Just like what Sir Alex Ferguson said about the Chinese players, they can play the ball well when not being challenged. But when under challenge with limited space, they cannot do it.”
“It’s too late to deal with their deficiencies at the national team stage, this should be done when they are young,” he added.
Saudi Arabia can move a step closer to a sixth World Cup appearance with a win over Vietnam which has lost all five games so far. Japan travels to Oman currently with seven points from five games,
In Group A, Iran and South Korea are moving clear. Iran scored twice in the closing minutes to defeat Lebanon 2-1 on Thursday to stay first with 13 points. Iran takes on Syria, bottom of the group with just two points while Korea will stay on course for a tenth successive World Cup appearance with a win over Iraq in Qatar.
Korea captain Son Heung-min hit the woodwork twice as Korea defeated United Arab Emirates 1-0 on Thursday and the Tottenham Hotspur star is looking for more goals.
“This is my third time playing in the final qualifying phase for the World Cup, and things have never been easy,” Son said. “Our job isn’t done. I want us to finish this with a flourish, and I’ll prepare for every remaining match like it’s the final.”
“We’re obviously not trying to win every match 1-0. One-goal leads are always tough to play with,” Son said. “Our opponents work as hard as we do, and winning is more important than anything.”
In the group’s other fixture, Lebanon in third hosts United Arab Emirates. JOHN DUERDEN, SEOUL, MDT/AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

The Buzz | As virus surges in ...

Next Article

COP26 Nations compromise on coal to strike ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Sports

      FINA World Championships | Peaty breaks 50 breast record; Ledecky sets up big night

      July 26, 2017
      By -
    • Sports

      More frustration for Man United in 0-0 draw vs West Brom

      April 3, 2017
      By -
    • Sports

      Red Sox, Nationals, A’s among MLB teams commemorating Juneteenth

      June 20, 2023
      By -
    • Sports

      Hughes complete a Wild few days with a goal in first game with Minnesota

      December 16, 2025
      By -
    • Sports

      Football | Malaysia draw against ‘stubborn’ Macau ‘very worrying’ – coach Ong

      March 31, 2016
      By -
    • Sports

      Motorsport | F1: Ferrari replaces chief technical officer halfway into season

      July 28, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      World briefs

    • World

      This Day in History | 1984 Hundreds die in Bhopal chemical accident

    • Asia-Pacific

      Philippines | Police hunt four people after Davao city bombing

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d