MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Local woman loses RMB6.7 million in online investment scam
Crime

Local woman loses RMB6.7 million in online investment scam

By Renato Marques, MDT
October 26, 2022
1
0
Share:

A local woman has reportedly been defrauded in a series of online investments, losing a total of RMB6.7 million, the Judiciary Police (PJ) reported on Monday.

The case dates back to October 2021 when the woman filed a complaint with the PJ concerning the scam.

At the time, she said that a few weeks earlier she had joined a training course to teach the participants how to invest in the mainland. She said that in this course she met one of the teachers who introduced her to a third man, who was supposedly an “Investment Master.”

According to instructions from this purported investment master, the woman bought stocks on the Chinese stock exchange and almost immediately earned some RMB50,000.

At this point, the same man also introduced her to a mobile application called “Sports Lottery” which she could use to continually increase her investment earnings.

At the end of October 2021, she finally decided to make a large investment. According to the information provided, she transferred a total of RMB6.7 million into an account on the mainland.

After some transactions using this Sports Lottery platform, she noted that instead of earning, she had lost almost all her money and she had a balance of only RMB1.6 million. Fearing the loss of the remaining cash, she attempted withdraw the money using the app, but the system did not allow her to do so. At this point, she also realized she had lost contact with the investment master who had introduced her to the app and was giving her tips on how to use it.

After the PJ received her complaint and opened an investigation, the PJ managed to identify a local resident, who is a 27 year old male restaurant worker, as one of the individuals involved in the scam. The investigation found that some of the money that the woman had transferred to the mainland had passed through one of his accounts.

According to what the PJ could ascertain, some RMB180,000 had been transferred to this man.

The suspect refused to cooperate with the PJ when taken in for questioning, and did not reveal any details of the case or elaborate on his involvement. However, further investigations into the suspect’s bank accounts revealed that of the RMB180,000, some RMB130,000 had been already transferred into other accounts on the mainland while only RMB50,000 remained in his account.

The suspect has been referred to the Public Prosecutions Office to be charged for high value fraud.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsCrime
Previous Article

New government to raise spending to boost ...

Next Article

Trade unionist lawmaker criticizes uncoordinated road works

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Man surrenders after robbing money changer with threats

      September 3, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      591 online, phone scams recorded in 1H, MOP95 million in losses

      September 26, 2023
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Police warn of surge in Alipay and phone scams

      June 17, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Suspected leader in RMB4.5 million theft handed over to PJ

      October 11, 2023
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Police bust loan-sharking operation at Casino

      September 4, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      Gongbei port seizes GBP10,000 in wheelchair smuggling bust

      August 29, 2024
      By -

    • Opinion

      Kapok | Bottoming at last?

    • World

      World briefs

    • OpinionOur Desk

      Our Desk | Somebody please stop indoor spitting

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d